Chapter 7

"Are you sure you don't need a ride?" my mother asked worriedly as I hauled my case toward the door. I shook my head. "Jade's house is only a few blocks away. It's a nice day to walk, anyway. I'll be fine," I reassured her. She sighed. "Alright, Ase. Be careful."

Suddenly, my phone buzzed inside my pocket, prompting me to slide it out and check my notifications. There was a message from Caleb that read: Things hit the fan today. Can I come over? I immediately felt sick to my stomach. Oh, God, I thought, wondering what had happened. I glanced at my mother. "Mom, I...I think it might be best if I stay here," I said. "Caleb just texted me, and I think something's wrong. He asked if he could come over."

My mother's expression darkened. She didn't know much about Caleb's situation at home, but she knew enough to tell that it was far from good. "Of course he can," she said softly. "He always can."

"Can I invite Jade and Ethan too? And Gabby?"

My mother nodded. "Sure," she replied. "I'd love to meet Jade and Ethan."

"Alright." I sent a quick text back to Caleb, then messaged Jade and told her about the change of plans. I then texted Gabby, who said that she was already on her way. Caleb must've told her first, I thought. I turned off my phone and shoved it into my pocket, then left my case by the door and began pacing the hallway as I waited for my friends to arrive.

As expected, Caleb was the first to get to the house. I opened the door for him and immediately noticed the tear tracks that stained his dark cheeks, feeling my heart sink within me. He stepped into the house and headed for the living room, where I followed him and sat beside him on the couch. He said nothing, only stared at the floor. "What happened?" I asked.

"My dad happened," Caleb said, a tear streaming down his cheek. "He was yelling at me because I was texting a guy from school, and I tried to defend myself, but then he hit me. My mom didn't even try to stop him. I got out of there, obviously, then ran to the park to text you and Gabby. You know the rest."

"Oh my God, Caleb," I whispered, feeling a pang of sadness deep within me. Why him? I thought, swallowing the lump in my throat as I put my arm around his shoulders. "I'm so sorry. I'm glad you came here."

"Me too," Caleb breathed, wiping away a stray tear with the sleeve of the faded Chicago Cubs sweatshirt I'd gotten him for Christmas what felt like an eternity ago. "Thank you for letting me."

"Of course. Friends help friends."

"Sorry I took so long!" Gabby said breathily as she entered the room, gasping for breath. "I ran all the way here. Caleb told me what happened. Caleb, are you okay?"

Caleb nodded. "I'm fine now, thanks to Ase," he replied.

"What's going on, you guys?" came Ethan's voice from the doorway. Jade came in behind him, throwing a smile in my direction. She frowned when her gaze landed on Caleb, as if she could sense that something was wrong.

Gabby spoke up. "Caleb's parents are jerks, but I'm sure you knew that already." Caleb rolled his eyes at Gabby. "I can speak for myself, Gabs," he said, giving her that sassy grin of his. Ethan frowned. "They hit you?"

"My dad did, yeah," Caleb replied. Ethan shook his head. "I'm sorry, man. You don't deserve that."

Caleb sighed. "Guys, I really don't want to think about it anymore. I kind of just want to hang out and do normal stuff, you know? I'd feel better that way."

"Are you sure? We're all here to help you, Caleb," I said.

"It's true." We all jumped, turning around to see my mom entering the room. She looked at Caleb with that tender expression of hers. "If you need to talk, we're all here to listen. We all care about you."