Chapter 11

Two days later, I was finally home. Those two days had been spent texting Gabby, Caleb, and Ethan, reassuring them over and over again that I was okay. That I loved them. That I would be better soon enough. In those two days, I learned for possibly the thousandth time that my friends were the greatest ones in existence.

My mother had been the one to drive me back, and as soon as I stepped out of the car, I noticed the elegant figure standing on the front porch. I felt my heart leap inside of me, and I stumbled forward, staring up at the figure as if she was my guardian angel. "Jade," I whispered.

Jade came forward and threw her arms around me, burying her face into my shoulder. "You're here," she said softly, her voice breaking. "You're really back."

God, this is happening.

I pulled away, gazing into her stormy blue eyes and smiling down at her. "You know it," I laughed softly. I looked over her shoulder, noticing the black case sitting on the porch. "You didn't have to bring my bass for me, you know."

"I wanted to," Jade said. "I needed you to have it once you were back."

I cleared my throat. "Do you want to sit down?" I asked. Jade nodded. "Of course."

My mother passed us, sharing a knowing look with me before she headed inside. I looked to Jade, lowering my head. "I'm sorry," I whispered. She shook her head. "Don't be," she said. "You're here now, and that's what matters. After all, there's a way back from everything."

There was a long silence. Jade inhaled slowly, then let it out in a long breath. "I'm sorry about your brother," she said, her voice beginning to break again. I nodded, feeling a pang at the mention of Felix. "I'll get through it. We all will," I said. I paused, taking a moment to think. "You know, he said he wanted to meet you."

Jade looked at me. "He did?"

"He did," I said with a nod. "In fact, it was him who gave me advice on how to confess my feelings for you. I could tell him everything. He was my everything."

A single tear streamed down Jade's cheek. "I'm sorry," she repeated.

"Again, we'll all get through it." I drew in a deep breath. "Can we talk about what you said while I was in the hospital?" I asked. Jade blushed profusely, looking away from me. She gave a nervous laugh. "It was a lot easier, talking about it over the phone," she remarked, shaking her head. "Anyway, uh...yeah. It's true."

"You like me," I said.

"Yep."

"And I like you."

Jade shrugged. "I mean, that's what you told me," she murmured.

After a moment of hesitation, I reached up and tucked a lock of Jade's jet-black hair behind her ear. She turned to me, and her eyes met mine again at last. "Does this mean we're...?" she trailed off.

"Together? I don't know," I said. "Do you want us to be?"

"I do," she said. "I definitely do. But only if that's what you want."

I smiled. "I do want that."

Jade hesitated for a moment, then leaned in close to me, placing her hand on my shoulder. "I'm glad we have this," she whispered. I nodded. "Me too."

And then Jade kissed me. It was short and sweet and didn't last more than a few seconds, but in that few seconds, I felt that everything left unsaid was spoken between the two of us. We were one in that moment, two halves of the same whole, and everything was right for the first time in what felt like an eternity.

It was me who pulled away. "I know things aren't ever going to be the same again," I whispered, "but I'm willing to give things a shot if you will too."

Jade's contented sigh did not go unnoticed. "Always," she whispered, her voice sounding like the wind through the trees on a tranquil autumn night.

I nodded. "Always."