20. Did I belong...?

Scar:

Today was going great so far. I arrived to my hotel early in the morning since it was an over 12 hour flight. So when I arrived I went to my room and passed out.

I was not a morning person.

I woke up after 10 and I unpacked my clothes and slowly got ready. I was surprising my family tomorrow that was the day before my birthday but it didn't go as planned.

As I was having a peaceful breakfast two people crashed into my table, literally.

"Wha-" I stuttered as I saw the familiar blonde hair and dark brown hair.

"Sorry, sorry!"

"Oops, my bad, sorry."

They apologize to the waiters and waitresses they bumped into and the tables they crashed into with customers.

Immediately I'm pulled into a hug by two people. I groan as they knocked the air out of me and squished me between them.

"Can't...bre...breathe..." I wheezed out as they pull away, apologetically but still smiling.

"I know you're supposed to see us until tomorrow but we couldn't wait. And when we heard you are here at last, I dragged Brian here to greet you. After all, we haven't seen you the longest." My sister Mia spoke fondly.

I chuckled and smiled. After Brian retired, we made sure to keep them and their family out of our troubles. It was a promise we made, a pact.

I saw Mia didn't have her huge belly, making me think she already had the baby. I fight my tears as I offer them to sit.

"I missed you guys, really I did. An-and I can't believe you guys are here right now." I spoke honestly the smile never leaving my face.

I kept poking Brian and Mia to make sure I didn't hallucinate and or lost my mind completely. But every poke proved it wasn't a dream but a reality.

We sat there eating and talking just like old times. They had a daughter, a name they refused to tell me until my birthday.

After we finished we walked to my room and we kept talking nonstop. Mia left to make sure they don't raise suspicion since neither of them are supposed to see me until tomorrow.

It just left me and Brian as we sat on the balcony with a couple of bottles. "So tell me what's the deal with the whole detective thing?" Brian asked. I chuckle, taking a sip. 

When I first started as a detective, Brian was the one who helped me the most. With giving tips, how to tell who was who and basically a how to, for it.

That's why I was one of the best, because of Brian and his tips. Admittedly there was times when I questioned my capabilities as a detective and I would call Brian and he would help me through. After I went AWOL I haven't spoken to him since.

Besides me and Dom, Brian was the next closest. Since I knew him long before he met my family and we ran into the drug dealers at sea.

After he tried to get into our crew to turn us in, I was hurt, and betrayed. Eventually I forgave him and our bond was stronger when him and Mia got together.

"It's fine, just... personal issues." I spoke vaguely bas he caught on.

"This is why we never mix business and pleasure, Carly. Tsk. Tsk." He teased as I laugh.

I started the whole story from beginning to end when Brian inputs his opinion.

I laugh as I fall back into my chair as Brian laughs with me sitting beside me. "L-look at the evidence. What did I tell you? All the evidence points to the underlying feelings the boy is getting for you. I mean come on, it's not hard when I started liking you myself."

I hum, "Yes, then watch out for Mia, Peralta might fall for her as well." Brian laughing shaking his head.

He smiled as he looked at his wedding ring, we stayed in peaceful silence. I sigh quietly the usual loneliness kicking in. I wanted someone the way Brian and my brother looks at their wives. Even here I still felt like I was on the outside looking in.

Did I belong anywhere now?