chapter 2

"you must be the Baudelaire's!" Monty called, opening the door. 

"hello, Dr. Montgomery, if you don't mind, i'd like to discuss urgent adoption matters with you," Mr. Poe said, coughing into his handkerchief. 

"that's quite alright, Mr. Poe," Monty replied. "why don't you all come into my kitchen? I've just finished baking a coconut cream cake!"

the three Baudelaire children looked happily at each other and followed their new guardian through their new home. once the Baudelaire children, Mr. Poe, and Monty were seated in the kitchen, all with a slice of cake in front of them, did Mr. Poe begin to speak.

"Dr. Montgomery, if you do not mind my asking, how much money do you make a month? of course, not you have these orphans, you will gain a certain amount of money to care for them a month-"

"I make lot's of money, enough to care for 7 children and myself," Monty explained. "do not worry, Mr. Poe, i do not need any sympathy money from the bank."

Mr. Poe smiled. "that's where you're wrong, Dr. Montgomery," he said. "i feel you'll need quite a bit more money to care for an infant."

"not really, i make millions a month, but this financial business is too braggy for me," Monty replied casually. "So, do i need to sign anything to become the children's guardian?"

"no, Dr. Montgomery," Mr. Poe replied. "and the Baudelaire fortune is not accessible until Violet becomes of age."

"i understand that completely, Mr. Poe," Monty replied, "besides, i have no need of their money." he smiled. "in fact, that'll help themselves when it's time for them to go to college."

Mr. Poe smiled simply and got up. "well, i'd better get going, bye Baudelaire's!"

and with that, Mr. Poe left Monty's house, leaving him alone with the Baudelaire's.

"Dr. Montgomery-" Klaus began.

"oh, none of that 'Doctor' nonsense," Monty replied. "call me Uncle Monty!"

"alright. Uncle Monty, what kind of doctor are you?"

"i am a Herpetologist.  i study snakes! i love snakes!" Uncle Monty replied enthusiastically. "now, let's get you all settled in your rooms," he paused. "while i clean up the kitchen!" 

it seemed all the Baudelaire's troubles would have been solved, until the doorbell rang again.