Part 10

it had been a couple of hours since Violet had disappeared. there was no doubt in anyone's mind that she had been kidnapped by Count Olaf, the second Baudelaire sister to have been.

"so Olaf must have survived." Klaus whispered. "We have to find her."

Monty nodded, called a friend to babysit Sunny, and followed Klaus into the backyard, which he and the oldest Baudelaire child had done for Sunny's disappearance. Klaus climbed the ladder up the shed and frowned.

Nobody there.  

"where is Violet?" Klaus asked his uncle.

"i have no clue, honestly." Monty frowned.

it had been several hours since Violet had been taken hostage. 

"where did you take me?!" Violet snapped angrily. 

she tried to loosen the bonds on her wrists and ankles. she pushed her shoulders around and winced in pain as one hit the hard side of the shed she was locked in. 

Ola growled and tied her waist to a chair and gagged her. she coughed and shuffled around to break the bonds. 

Olaf pulled her back. "quiet! there are people outside!" Olaf growled and wrapped a piece of cloth around her eyes. "we'll need to find another hiding place."

after the echoing footsteps had ceased, Olaf pulled open the sliding doors and pulled Violet into a black van. 

a half hour later, Olaf ripped the blindfold off of Violet's eyes. he pulled the gag off her mouth. 

"where are we?" Violet asked angrily. 

"welcome to Hotel Denouement." Olaf said with a smile.

"HELP!" Violet screamed. "HELP HELP HELP!"

"Shut up!" Olaf roared, attracting much attention to the hotel room they were in. 

A man in a suit ripped open the door in anger. "Olaf; you know you are not welcome in this hotel."

the man untied Violet. she rubbed her wrists and ankles as the rope had cut into them. Violet walked over to the nearest window, pulled the frame out and pushed Olaf through it. 

"I'm Dewey Denouement." the man said, shaking Violet's hand. 

"I'm-"

"Violet Baudelaire. it's wonderful to meet you." Dewey interrupted. 

"can you call my brother and tell him where i am?" 

"yeah sure." 

after Dewey had disappeared, Violet,  yet again, began to worry. what is Olaf came back for her while Dewey was gone? somehow, she felt safe in Dewey's presence. 

after many, many seconds, each counted by Violet, of course, Dewey had returned.

"your uncle's on his way over to get you, Violet." Dewey said simply. 

Violet nodded and followed Dewey into the hotel.

"what is this place anyway?" Violet asked.

"this is Hotel Denouement." Dewey explained, leading Violet into the lobby. 

"Do you run this place?" Violet asked, amazed.

"yes, me and my brothers, Frank and Ernest."

fairly soon, Uncle Monty had arrived to retrieve Violet.

after Violet had returned to her younger siblings, there was a buzzing of curiosity and fright between the children, their scared exclaims so loud Uncle Monty had given up completely on silence, and instead decided to begin their late dinner.

after Violet, who was staring, had finished every decimeter of her food, did Uncle Monty begin to speak on the subject.

"where were you at first?" he asked solemnly, obviously still shook. 

"inside the shed," Violet replied, looking at her empty plate instead of facing anyone. "it was terrible." she added in a whisper.

Uncle Monty frowned. "did he make you drink anything?"

"yeah, some white beverage." Violet whispered, confused.

Uncle Monty went pale. his eyes widened in shock. he ran from his chair and dialed a number the Baudelaire children could not recognize. he screamed something in a different language and heard a just as mysterious reply.

Uncle Monty hung up the phone, too scared to speak, and pulled the Baudelaire children into his jeep, quickly, but carefully, he drove to an unknown address. 

once they had arrived, the Baudelaire children examined the house. 

the cottage was light tan, with a white door, and no windows. it had a flat roof with a chimney in the exact middle.

Uncle Monty led the children up the entry way to the door. he knocked exactly five times in a sort of pattern.

a younger woman opened the door.

she had soft brown curls and a slim face. she was wearing a purple sweater and jeans. she tapped her long fingernails on the open door, her feet in the door frame, a angry, but happy expression applied to her lips.

"Montgomery." she growled. "i thought you said you'd never need it ever again." 

Monty sighed. "Until Olaf struck again, Apple." 

Violet, who was paler than Uncle Monty had been, grew little color in confusion. 

"the white beverage does terrible things. if he is not controlling you right now we have little time before he starts, Violet, you'd better come with me." Apple whispered, almost as pale as Uncle Monty.

"Uncle Monty? what's happening?" Klaus asked.

Monty shook his head. "you will find out soon enough, child."

"drink this." Apple gave a glass to Violet. "and it will put you to sleep for 24 hours and stop the hypnosis. Monty, make sure nobody wakes her up during this time. it's dire."

Violet drank the potion and fell back, sleeping.

after they had gotten home, did Klaus ask what the white beverage is and what it did. 

"Klaus; the white beverage is evil; anyone who drinks it is hypnotized by the one who gave it to them. it got very very dangerous very quickly.

"people could be instructed to do anything; kill themselves or others, set fires, sink ships, destroy families. it was terrible, until VFD found an antidote."

Klaus looked as pale as Monty had been. "so-Violet could've-thank god you knew what it was."

it had been about 24 hours later, so Klaus was glad he could talk about it to Violet.

Monty smiled. "How bout you go help Sunny with the IDV?"

"Incredibly Deadly Viper?" Klaus asked. "sure."

as Klaus walked into the Reptile Room, there was a loud bang on the door.

Violet jumped up and ran into the Reptile Room, reunited with Klaus and Sunny.

"Lock yourselves in, children!" Monty exclaimed.