➳partners in crime

ii

ii. partners in crime

five and diana became accquainted quite quickly, considering the fact that the pair were seemingly the last two on earth. without each other, it seemed that the pair would go insane, but five drived diana insane. the boy was a condesending asshole and diana couldn't bear it. five thought diana was too naive and weak to be in this situation with him. he feared that she would be the end of them but thankfully, they both survived, after sadly eating some bugs. after decades stuck in the future, the pair learned to live in harmony together. despite being constanly at each others throats, life was good. 

five was relatively protective over diana, seeing her as the weaker of the two even though the two of them possessed the exact same abilities. five would always be the first to check to see if an area was safe for the two of them to stay for awhile, he always volunteered to go search for anything to eat. though some may have viewed that was sweet, diana hated it. all she wanted to do was get out there and help but five never allowed her, making her sit back and wait with his plastic girlfriend that he had picked up along the way. 

but a good few years on their own and the pair began aging. fives plastic lover, delores, was still in the picture and the pair were still ready to kill each other. one day, the pair were siting in an alley, taking a rest from roaming their surroundings and looking for a way back. but someone else appeared that day. someone they only knew as the handler. five grabbed the shotgun raising it up to the woman. "Who the hell are you?" five had moved in front diana as per usual. his instincts to protect had kicked in. the pair of them had been together for years now, since they were teenagers. they were now in their fifties and absolutely nothing had changed. diana let out a small huff, trying to peer around five to see who the woman was. "i'm here to help." diana's ears perked up at the mention of help. the fact that there was someone else here was amazing but this woman had to know something else, something that diana and five didn't. "tell us why we shouldn't put this bullet straight through your head." diana had finally spoke up, directing the woman's attention to her. five turned his head to diana momentarily, his eyebrows raised. 

the handler. she worked for the commission. they are tasked with the preservation of the time continuum through manipulation and removals.  in other words, they make sure that people don't fuck up the past as we know it. "i've come to offer you a job, number five. we're had our eye on you for quite some time. and we think you have a lot of potential. your survival skills have made you quite a celebrity back at headquarters...that and your ability to jump through time." five's eyes brightened up slightly but diana's heart fell. they were here to offer him a job. he had a way out, she was stuck here. "you're saying that we could actually leave here?" five stuttered out. he wasn't getting it, they wanted him and just him. "no five, we just want you. five years of your service and then we'll return you to a time period of your choosing." five's eyes flickered between diana and the handler. diana was avoiding all eye contact and the handler was staring at five intently while he was weighing his options. "do we have an agreement?"

five was fighting with himself mentally. he was desperate to leave and get away from this hell hole but he couldn't leave diana. even if they always managed to get on each others nerves, both of them knew that'd they would do anything for each other. being stuck together for years, forms a bond that others would probably never. five and diana were a team. "no." diana's head shot up when she heard five answer. was he insane? leave while you can, mate! five began to walk forward, now standing with little distance between him and the handler. "if you want one of  us, you'll take us both. a partnership."

if you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting and leaving a comment ❤