➳best funeral

v

v. best funeral

five had left the room, leaving diana on her own once again. diana moved for the waedrobe where five had told her the uniforms were. opening the wardrobe, a small smile took over diana's features. diana reached in and grabbed a uniform. in her hands was her entire childhood. growing up, all she wanted to do was join the academy, much like every child did. but she grew up with extraodinary power and talent that surely would've caught sir reginald hargreeve's attention back then. she stared blankly at the uniform that was in her hands, even thinking about her childhoood brought back memories of her family, she had no idea were they were now. would they even recognise her? considering the fact that she looked the exact same as she did when she disappeared, she sure hoped so. but more importantly, did they give up hope on her? because she most certainly did not give up on them and getting back home.

diana went through each of the uniforms, trying each one on looking for whichever fit best. throwing on the uniform that appeared to be either allisons or vanyas, judging by the skirt, so there was very little chance that it belonged to one of the boys other than klaus. though, the mental picture of a younger luther running around in a skirt was something that diana found funnier than she should've. diana pushed her hair out of her eyes before going to find a bathroom to try get the makeup off her face. upon finding a bathroom diana entered and shut the door behind her, making sure none of the hargreeves siblings were lurking in the shadows.

diana stared at herself in the mirror that was propped above the sink. she looked like a mess, her hair had fallen loose from the 1960s do in was in prior to their escape. diana pulled all the hair clips and ties that were in it out and pushed them to the side, taking one of the hair ties and deciding that a ponytail would just have to do.

after making sure she looked presentable, she began looking for five once again. it seemed to be a running theme today but this time it didn't take long for diana to find him. the minute she descended the staircase, she could hear his muffled voice through the doors to her right. diana was able to make out the words book and ben, and by the mention of a book, she presumed he was talking to vanya. five was quite torn up when he found vanya's book, diana knew that they were close growing up and he was unclear disbelief that vanya let up the family's secrets so easy.

diana waited at the bottom of the staircase, waiting for one of them to leave so she could make her move and surely enough, five exited moments later, his eyes landing immediately on diana. "you're finally one of us," a small smirk was playing across five's lips as he observed diana. diana had told him about always wanting to be in the academy when she was younger and now she was stood in front of him in the very uniform. "looks good on you." five wasn't one for compliments, so even with him saying that, it meant quite a lot. "not too bad yourself, hargreeves. you don't look at day over 57." diana joked, just yesterday they looked as old as their parents, maybe even their grandparents and now they were staring at the fifteen year old versions of themselves. bizarre wasn't even the right word for it. five shook his head and sent diana a small smile. diana couldn't remember the last time he smiled properly, or if she had even seen him smile wider than that. five's smile quickly disappered as he glanced up and looked diana in the eye, "grab an umbrella, it's time for the funeral."

going to a funeral wasn't the ideal way to spend your first day back but out of respect of five and his family, diana went anyways. diana stood outside amongst the hargreeves holding an umbrella over her head. the tension in the air could be cut with a knife. a complete stranger could tell you that there was family drama surrounding them and that they haven't been together in quite some tie. diana stood with her mouth shut as she watched the funeral kick off, pogo had a few words to say, all much kinder than diego's outlook on their father. it was in that moment that diana realised what the real umbrella academy was like. it was awful underneath the facade they showed the public. reginald hargreeves broke the children. he didn't even give them names, he left it to grace. a fight broke out between luther and diego and all diana coud do was sigh but underneath it all she was 100% rooting for diego. diana stood by watching them battle it out for a few moments until five announced that he had no time for any of this. five met diana's eye and gestured for her to follow him. the pair of them walked towards the door, five holding it open for diana and then entering after her.

"five, your obsession with coffee is extremely unhealthy." diana commented as she watched five search the kitchen relentlessly for a drop of coffee. "i'm gonna need more than a cup of coffee if i'm gonna deal with you." five commented. and the old five is still in there! diana was beginning to grow worried by the lack of snide comments five was making but it seems that he hasn't strayed far from who he truly is. allison entered the kitchen, saying something about vanya leaving but it really didn't interest diana. diana was still trying to figure out which of the hargreeves could be considered trustworthy and useful in their current situation and vanya was at the very bottom of her list. vanya was useless. she possessed no power, therefore, diana didn't care whether she left or stuck around.

"an entire square block. 42 bedrooms, 19 bathrooms but no, not a single drop of coffee." diana rolled her eyes at five. "here we go again." she muttered, receiving a sharp look from five. "dad hated caffeine." allison reminded five. "well, he hated children too, and he had plenty of us!" klaus commented from across the table. klaus hargreeves, the only hargreeves sibling with a sense of humour. "we're taking the car." we? diana raised an eyebrow at five, where on earth did he think he was going? coffee. to get a cup of fucking coffee. diana didn't exactly have much time to protest and beg him to let her stay here as he already grabbed her shoulder and jumped.

diana sat in the passenger seat of the car five was driving, it was one of the many skills that they had picked up while in the future. sitting in silence was also something they were too good at. diana let out an audible sigh, attracting fives attention. "uhhh... sorry about the funeral earlier, i know it wasn't the best way to spend the first day back to normal." diana let a bitter laugh. "well you can't spell funeral without fun."

if you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting and leaving a comment