3

Nervously Grace drove to the city in the car she got, wearing a simple dress with flowers and little white heels. Shuri somehow knew which size Grace had in like everything. Her whole closet was filled with clothing that would fit with the Wakandan weather and would suit her, because she wasn't used to the clothing of this country.
The brighter the lights, the more nervous she got. Not only because she got closer to Bucky - sort of, Shuri's lab was a few miles away -, but also because she would meet the Queen. She had no idea what to do, or to say or whatever. She never really spoke to royalty.
God, she never even talked to people outside her work - she was too shy, too modest.
And besides, why would they want her there? She was nothing more than a white woman that was staying there, waiting for Bucky to recover.
Two woman that had the same look as Okoye waited for her and leaded her through the palace.
"So, do I need to bow or anything?" asked Grace, what made the Dora's roll with their eyes. Grace felt like an outsider, but smiled anyway when she entered the room, filled with the Council and the Royals.
As soon she stepped inside, all the dark eyes looked at her. Grace gulped and looked at her shoes, mustered courage, and faced the Wakandan people.
"Doctor Pierce," said Okoye, the first one to approach her, "we have been waiting for you."
"You were?" asked Grace a bit breathless. She tried to breathe in, what was harder than she thought it would be.
"Of course," said Shuri, showing up out of nowhere and smiling broad.
"Am I late?" They didn't really a time, so she assumed she came after sundown. Oh no, what if she was late? Would they be mad? Irritated?
But if they were, they didn't show it when Shuri took Grace's hand and she flinched for a moment. Shuri pulled her over to the rest of the people and wanted sit her down on a stool, but the Queen gave Shuri a strict look. "We wanted to speak to you! We are all so curious about you and your life!"
"Shuri is," improved the woman in front of her, the Queen, "I just wanted to know the very first white woman that ever entered Wakanda."
"Which means you're interested in her life and herself, Mother." Shuri rolled her eyes like the young girl she was.
"Of course." The Queen smiled with a sweet smile and Grace blushed furiously. She felt like a tomato.
Grace wanted to bow - didn't everyone do that in front of a Queen? She felt so tiny under the gaze of the Wakandan people.
"Don't do that, please," said the Queen and laid her hand upon Grace's shoulder. "You can stay upright."
"Okay." Grace did so and looked around.
"Can we eat soon?" Shuri pushed Grace in her stool, and made her way to her own. Grace didn't want her to leave, she felt so embarrassed for no reason!
Shuri waved enthusiastic at her and T'Challa rolled his eyes.
"Why don't you tell something about yourself. And about all the other things in America and Germany," said Shuri and she bowed towards Grace, as the other people just kept looking at her. Oh, she wished Steve was here, or Sam. They would talk her out of this. Grace never liked it when people were staring at her - she got really nervous about it.
"Well," said Grace, trying to catch her breath, "America is big. And... Germany is fine, a good place for a bike trip. We, uh..."
"You're a Doctor, right?" asked a man next to her, with strange marks on his face and a friendly expression. Grace nodded.
"I am. I studied in England, so that explains why my accent is a bit... odd." People chuckled and Grace became more red.
"You like it here so far, Doctor Pierce?" asked the Queen when servants placed the food on the table. Grace's eyes grew big - she never ate something like that.
Would she like it? What if she didn't? Or worse - what if she was allergic? The thought made Grace sick of shame.
"I think I do, I've been here only for a day. But I think the nature is beautiful," said Grace, "I only wish to know more about... you know, everything. If that's possible."
"Of course!" Shuri immediately said with a broad smile. She leaned over the table, ignoring T'Challa who just wanted to pick some food, and looked at his sister irritated. "Zuri will tell you! Right, Zuri?"
The man next to Grace laughed. "Only if the Queen allows me. It's a long time since I've told Wakanda's history. And it will be the first time to a white person."
"Oh, you don't have to if it isn't proper," said Grace, not wanting to be a burden for them.
But the Queen smiled and nodded. "It's fine. It's a long time ago."
"Thank you, Your Majesty," mumbled Grace shyly.
"Please," said the Queen, "call me Ramonda."
Zuri laughed and took some water, cleared his throat and waited for everyone to focus on him. He smiled at Grace, to comfort her because she was still very nervous. She knew that he knew that Grace didn't feel like she was supposed to be here.
But his smile made her feel better, so she smiled back.
"Millions of years ago... a meteorite made of vibranium, the strongest substance in the universe, struck the continent of Africa... affecting the plant life around it. And when the time of man came... five tribes settled on it and called it Wakanda. The tribes lived in constant war with each other... until a warrior shaman... received a vision from the Panther Goddess Bast... who led him to the Heart-Shaped Herb." Shuri leaned on her fists and listened like a child in awe, and so did Grace when Zuri talked along.
"A plant that granted him superhuman strength, speed and instincts. The warrior became king... and the first Black Panther... the protector of Wakanda. Four tribes agreed to live under the king's rule... but the Jabari Tribe isolated themselves in the mountains. The Wakandans used vibranium to develop technology... more Advanced than any other nation."
Grace looked at T'Challa for a moment - the Black Panther of this generation, and King over at least twenty four hours. Shuri smiled at Grace. Bucky would've liked this. A lot. She got a lump in her throat and focused and Zuri's interesting and fascinating words again, the beautiful story of Wakanda's history.
"But as Wakanda thrived... the world around it descended further into chaos. To keep vibranium safe... the Wakandans vowed to hide in plain sight... keeping the Truth of their power from the outside world. And that's how ended up here, and why you never knew we existed." Zuri squeezed Grace's shoulder and she just smiled at him.
It kept silent for a moment, until Ramonda decided to speak up.
"You will stay here until you decide to go," said Ramonda to Grace, whom became red again.
"That's not a problem?"
"The man you love is in cryo here. He needs to heal and to rest. I heard the story about what happened... I accept his presence in Wakanda and I allow him to give him all the time he needs." Grace nodded and looked at the food on her plate - no one started eating yet. Grace looked back at the Queen.
"And you... He needs you, and if you want, you can work here as a doctor. There are many people in Wakanda that want to meet you."
Grace breathed out. "You will let me work here?" She almost couldn't believe it and Shuri smiled more broad, and Okoye, who was standing in the corner on the watch, smiled a little bit, too.
"Of course," said Ramonda, "because we know you want to."
"Thank you, I really appreciate what you are all doing for us." Grace couldn't find the right words, but everyone knew what she meant.
T'Challa sighed. "Now," he said, "let's eat."