Chapter 7.

"Em?" Adrian called our softly as the pair sat My the roaring fire. Without speaking she glanced up at him, a small gesture letting him know to carry on with what he was going to say.

"I think it would be best if you stayed in my chambers until we know what is going on."  He knew this was a bold question, given that they haven't known each other long, but it was for her safety. Maybe something else, although, Adrian would never admit to it. He slowly started to care for the young Emmaline. He looked forward to their daily chats, their long strolls around the castle, and even though this was strange for him, he liked it. He enjoyed the company of someone other than his family.

After a short pause Em spoke up, "Are you sure?"

"Positive. That way I can make sure that you are safe." And so be could also spend more time with her. "Look, it's getting late, and you haven't eaten a thing since you found that message earlier."

"What time is it?" She quietly asked.

"Almost 8. We've been sitting here a while. . ." She let out a small 'oh' and dragged her gaze from the fire, to Adrian's face, "please stay with me."

"Don't worry. I'll call Lily and tell her to get you some soup." He softly said as she did a small nod. After staring at the fire for a couple more minutes Lily made her way into the dining lounge. Seeing Emmaline's fear stricken face, she smirked to herself, however as quickly as it appeared, it disappeared just as fast. She set the chicken soup on the glass table, before turning to Em.

"I heard what happened to you. I'm just sick at the thought of someone wanting to hurt you." She put on her best sorrowful face, as Em lightly lay her hand on Lily's.

"I'm definitely shaken up." She paused, "but Adrian said he'll watch over me, so I feel a tad bit better." She tried her best to smile, but it
was futile.

"You're staying in Adrian's chambers?"

"Yes she is." Adrian said with a small smile while looking down at Em drinking the broth from the delicious soup.

"Oh. . . Don't you think that's a little scandalous? Especially since you two aren't even in a relationship." Lily said, a scowl taking hold of her beautiful features.

"It's for my protection Lily. Nothing will happen." Em said noticing the small changes in Lily: the way she holds herself, the way she speaks, and the sharpness in her tone. Could it be that she has feelings for Adrian?

"Yes of course. Does the queen know about your plans?" Lily questioned.

"No. I don't want to worry mother." Adrian spoke up.

"I see. However, for some reason I don't think it will worry her. If anything I bet she would be happy knowing what you know." Lily ominously said before gracefully walking out of the small room.

"What has gotten into her?" Em wondered out loud.

"I'm not exactly sure maybe-" Adrian was cut off from what sounded like a shrill scream followed by a thud.

"What was that?!" Em panicked.

"Stay here. I'll go check." He got up and rushed out of the room but not before looking over his shoulder to a worried Emmaline. She wanted to go see what was going on, but for some odd reason she felt like it would be best to listen to Adrian.

Minutes seemed like hours before Adrian came back in the room with blood all over him. A sight that made Em want to throw up the little contents that lay in her stomach. 

"What happened?" The young girl said, no louder than a whisper. Although she didn't want to admit it, seeing Adrian all covered in blood made her remember what exactly he is.

"It's Paris..." he didn't finish. He didn't need to. All the of the blood, the scream, and the thud, connected the dots.

Emmaline remembered how Paris helped her get ready for the ball. She remembered that the young witch was a kind soul in a world full of darkness, much like herself.

Adrian couldn't help but think that what happened to Paris was connected to the mystery message Emmaline found on the bathroom mirror. The question is, who would do such a thing. Paris was as innocent as they came. She didn't dare dabble in black magic, and always used her gift to help others. She was soft spoken, brave when she needed to be, and graceful with her movements, traits that he has always admired. Traits that he always thought a queen should be. . .

But as he looked over to Em, he noticed a compassionate, scared, and beautiful girl. A girl who was braver than anyone he had ever met. A girl who was destined to be the light in a world of darkness. He knew that in this very moment, that he felt something for the young girl.

Adrian thought that he would end up with a women like Paris, but he couldn't be more thankful for Emmaline. The tiny brunette has made him feel things that he hadn't felt since before he became a vampire. She made him smile even if she couldn't see it. She made him laugh by just doing a small gesture. She made him feel fear. Which was so foreign to him, it frightened him even more.

What happened to Paris was sad, but he would be able to get over it.

"What happened to Paris... was it because of me?" Emmaline broke his train of those, by voicing the same words he had been thinking.

"Maybe." He couldn't lie to her no matter how much he wanted to, he wanted to protect her from this.

She sucked in a deep breath while looking at his downcast eyes, and let loose her bottled emotions. She knew that he probably thought she was weak, but she couldn't help it. In the midst of her tears and self destruction, Adrian surprised her by pulling her into a tight hug.

Adrian knew. He knew as soon as he wrapped the crying girl in his embrace. He could move on from Paris' death easily. However, if something were to happen to Emmaline, he would never be able to let go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sooooo what did you think of the chapter? Did you like it? Did you hate it?
Let me know in the comments who you think killed Paris, and who is after Emmaline.
Vote, comment, and share if you would like.
Until next time❤️