Chapter 15

Allen came into the house carrying a box that had Lori raising an eyebrow. She got up and looked into it then squealed when she saw kittens. "We're fostering more," she asked excitedly. He nodded, "We are." He had seen how happy it made her getting to foster Scoots. He refused to keep any like he did with Scoots, but he did like seeing her happy.

After getting the kittens settled in their area Allen took her hand, unable to contain his excitement any longer. "Jace is coming home," he told her. Her smile was so bright and filled with excitement, it blew him away. "I'm just waiting for him to give me a call," he added on. He looked around the livingroom, making sure everything was right. A few days ago, him and Lex moved their bedroom furniture to the living room and put the livingroom furniture where their bedroom is so that way Jace wouldn't have to worry about the stairs. The only thing they left in the living room was the TV mounted above the fireplace.

Allen had always hated to idea of having a TV in the bedroom but given their circumstances, he was making an exception. One thing he refused to make an exception on was letting the pets in the bed. Lori told him the dogs might listen but the cats wont. Psycho and Scoots had proved that many times, but he was determined to win.

"We should order his favorite for dinner," Lori suggested to him. Allen nodded, "That sounds like a great idea." Allen's phone began to ring and he smiled when he answered it, "Hey Pet." Jace smiled, "I'm ready when you are." Allen nodded, "I'll be there soon." He then hung up and gave Lori a kiss before leaving.

Lori was so excited as she ordered Jace's favorite. She cleaned up what little was dirty before they got here. She was putting the food on the table when they came in. Jace pulled her in for kiss that had her gripping his shirt, not wanting to stop. When he pulled away she was breathless and feeling very needy. They were all home now, and that meant everything to her.

"Dinner is ready if you're hungry," she told him. He smirked, "I am but not for food." Allen wrapped his arms around him," Trust me Pet, we all are, but neither of you are ready just yet." Jace leaned into Allen and sighed, "Unfortunately."

After that they sat down to eat. Lori felt the air change around them and she knew what was to come. "I love you both so much, and when I woke up, having Lex tell me what had happened between the two of you. I didn't want to believe it," Jace began. "Then I saw you both, and you looked like hell." He turned to Allen, "How could you not see she was starving? Weren't you both here together?"

Allen held a look of guilt, "I was. I didn't see it because I was locking myself in my office, letting my own grief make me blind to her own suffering." It would be forever something he would regret till the end of time. Jace then turned to Lori, "When we get the all clear, the first thing I'm doing is stripping you down and kissing every scar, both old and new." Tears came to her eyes, and she did her best to not let them fall.

"Its gonna be hard to adjust a new way of living but I know we can do it," Jace said. Allen nodded, "I'm glad to see you're accepting this better than I thought you would." "Because I have the both of you. Yes it means I have to stop being a fire fighter, but that gives me more time to get back into playing the guitar, and have more nights at home. And who knows, eventually I'll be a stay at home dad," Jace said, while throwing in the last part. Lori became red faced as she finished her plate.

More mention of kids, she thought. She wasn't against the idea, but now was definitely not the time. She first had to get back into shape. After they ate they changed into something comfortable before crawling into bed with Jace between them.

Jace smiled softly at the feel of them beside him. They made it easier. Without them, he wouldn't want to get better, wouldn't have wanted to try and walk again. Sure he can't use stairs and was now legally handicapped, but none of that mattered, he had two people who loved him for him, not for what he could and couldn't do.

Lori had drifted off to sleep as they watched TV. Jace turned his head and looked at Allen, "How has she been?" "Better. She hasn't hurt herself in a while. We're trying to find the right meds for her but so far the one she is on now seems to be doing very well," Allen told him. Jace nodded, "And how are you doing?" Allen smiled softly, "I haven't had a drop of alcohol since the night before Trisha locked me in her basement. How are you doing?" Jace sighed, the weight of it all showing itself, "Its so hard. There is so much I want to do, but now I cant and the pain I'm constantly feeling is always reminding me of that. Dont tell Lori, but there are many days where the pain meds dont help much. The doctor says it's a good thing to still be able to feel pain meaning the damage isn't as bad as they originally thought, which is good, but being in constant pain is tiring."

Allen kissed him softly, "It'll be okay." God he hoped so. He then heard tiny meows coming from the corner of the room, "What's that?" Allen smiled, "I'm letting Lori foster more kittens. This time though we're not keeping any." "Wait, we're keeping Scoots," Jace asked him. Allen nodded, "I thought it would be good for you and for Lori to keep her." The cat had come a long way and was now hyperactive and really showing her personality. She didn't let not having her back legs work stop her from being able to run around and play. If Scoots could do it, so could I, Jace thought to himself. He just had to push himself. He was lucky he had two people who inspired him to push himself.