Chapter 1

*This chapter contains self harm*
Uriah's P.O.V.

I just got off of the school bus at the bus stop at the end of my street. Thank God, I'm almost home. I just got my third F on a math test this year and it's only the beginning of October. It's been a terrible day and it's about to get a whole lot worse. There were a couple grade nines on the bus that like to pick on us grade eights, and since I'm the only grade eight on my bus, I'm their prime target. I started running towards my house which is in the middle of the street, but closer to the opposite end my bus stop is on.

I started looking at the house numbers, counting down to mine. 864...860...856...852...I could hear the ninth graders gaining on me. Come on. I felt an egg land on my head and felt it run down my back. Just a few more houses, I can do this. 850...848, finally, 846. I opened the gate to our front yard and quickly closed it. I heard their shoes scuff against the pavement and they stopped running.

"We'll get you next time, Hawthorne!" One of them yelled while kicking the wooden gate.
I opened the door to my house with my key and took my shoes off. I shut the back door and put my bag down. I went into the bathroom and closed the door. I turned on the shower and took off my clothes.

Once the temperature was to my liking, I got in and washed the egg out of my hair. I grabbed my razor and made three cuts next to my other ones. One for me failing my test, one for me not being good enough, and one for me being the dumbest person on the planet. I cried in the shower for a few minutes and then got out. I cleaned up my arm and wrapped a towel around my waist.

I grabbed some clean clothes from the laundry basket that was in the living room and went back into the bathroom. Before my mom leaves for work, she folds all of the clothes that she cleaned the night before, and my job when I come home is to put them all away. I changed into the long sleeve white shirt and jeans that I picked out. I put the towel that I used into the dirty laundry and put the clean laundry that was in the laundry basket away. The only thing that was mine in there were the clothes that I put on just now. I got my backpack from the entryway of the house.
I walked up the stairs and into the long hallway.
As I walked past my brothers' empty bedrooms like I normally do, and to my room. My parents' room is downstairs, so I have the whole upstairs to myself.

You're probably wondering why my brothers' bedrooms are empty. Well, let me enlighten you. My brothers are all older than me and live ten hours away from here. I have three older brothers, the oldest is Maverick who is 21, then there is Jonas who is 19, and lastly there is Ellis who is 17. When Maverick was seventeen almost eighteen, he took the money that he had been saving up for since he was like ten, and bought a fixer-upper in the town outside of the college that he got accepted to. He left first and then Jonas along with Ellis wanted to go. My parents were reluctant at first, but when they saw how nice Maverick had made the little shit shack that he bought, my parents let my other brothers go a year later.

That left me at home with my parents since I was ten and they said I was too little to go. My brothers don't like me anyway, so it worked out quite well. From what my parents tell me, my brothers didn't always hate me. They just got mad because I was so much younger than them and wanted to tag along and do everything they did. Every time I would break something of theirs or do something and wouldn't get in trouble, my brothers would get super pissed and knew that I knew better. Ellis used to get super mad and try to beat me up like our other brothers would do to him, and he'd get in trouble. They just didn't like the fact that my parents treated me better than them since I was the last kid and they just got tired of parenting.

I got to my room, sat at my desk and started doing my homework.
"Uriman!" I heard Dad call after a few hours.
I smiled at the nickname he's called me since I was a baby, and called back "In my room, dad!"
He walked up the stairs and into my room.
"Hey, Uriman. How was school?" He asked.
"Good." I lied while plastering on a fake smile.
"That's nice. Want to go out for dinner when your mom comes home?" He asked.
"Sure. Sounds good." I answered.
"Okay. I'll let you get back to working on your homework." He replied and walked out of my room.