Chapter 6

Uriah's P.O.V.

It's now Friday and these past few days have been miserable. I didn't sleep at all last night, except for two hours, but I woke up screaming and Ellis kicked me out again. They did their usual five minutes of talking shit about me and then Ellis came to "wake me up".

He went to school after twenty minutes and I got up. I laid my head on the counter and waited for Maverick to shove me like he usually does. He did, then he gave me a PopTart and I started eating it.
"So tonight is Ellis' football game. You're going and if you try to pull anything, you're grounded." Maverick told me.
"Why? Ellis hates me, just like you and Jonas do, so why would he want me there?" I questioned.
"Because we don't want people to realize how shitty of a family we are. And if you act like your usual bratty self-" He started.
"Let me guess, I'm grounded?" I said cutting him off.
"Exactly. Now don't interrupt me again." He replied.

"Get your chores done. Jonas, come on." He said while yelling for Jonas at the last part.
"Coming." Jonas replied and walked out the door with him.
I sighed and finished eating my PopTart.
I cleaned up the kitchen and put my blanket back on my bed.
I took a shower and got the mail after I saw the mail truck drive down our street.

I was laying down on the couch with the blinds shut and lights off when my brothers walked in.
"Fucking stop it with the dungeon!" Ellis exclaimed and hit me in the stomach.
I winced and started coughing.
He scoffed at how weak I am and he went into our room.

"After he comes out, you need to go change into something presentable." Maverick told me.
I nodded and waited for Ellis to come out.
He did after ten minutes and I changed into a pair of jeans, a shirt and a hoodie.
"You look dead." Ellis laughed as I came out of our room.
"I wish I was." I replied.
His smile faded and he walked to his bed.
He grabbed his helmet and walked back out.

"Ready to go?" Maverick asked him.
He nodded and we got into the truck.
We drove to school and parked in the parking lot.
Ellis got out and went inside the school.
I went with Jonas and Maverick as they walked through the crowd and up to top of the bleachers.
We sat down and I looked around.
You can see so much from up here, it's so cool.
I put my hood up to partially hide my face and I could tell that there were a lot of people staring at me.
The crowd erupted as the players walked onto the field and I didn't even make a single sound.
I absolutely hate sports and I would much rather be doing anything else but watching this dumb game.

After the game finished and Ellis' team won, we walked to the school and went inside. I didn't even watch any of the game, if I'm honest. I just looked at everything but the game. I watched the cars on the highway that's a little farther away and I watched everyone else get so excited over teenage boys throwing an inflated ball made of pig skin around while tackling each other.

Once we got inside the school, we waited outside the locker room for Ellis. Maverick and Jonas were talking to some people and I was just staring down at my shoes waiting to leave. Ellis came out of the locker room and started talking to someone too. He set his bag down at my feet and I kept looking at the ground.

Somebody tapped the top of my head after a couple minutes and I looked up. It was Ellis and there was a teenage girl standing next to him.
"Aw, is this you're little brother?" She cooed.
"Yeah." Ellis replied.
"You're so adorable." She smiled at me.
"He gets it from me." Ellis said.
I rolled my eyes at him and the girl smiled at Ellis.
"He sure does." She laughed.
"So what's your name?" She asked me, coming down to my level.
"Uriah." I answered quietly.
"Aw, what a cute name." She replied.

"What happened to your arm, Uriah?" She asked.
"He fell. That's why his face is all bruised up too. He doesn't listen to us when we tell him to not go so fast on his skateboard." Ellis answered for me.
"Well if he doesn't listen to you, then he's gonna be in big trouble if Santa finds out." She replied.
How old does she think I am? I stopped believing in Santa a long time ago.
"Did Ellis tell you how old I was?" I asked her.
"Yep. He told me you were two whole hands. Now you're not just one handful, you're two." She laughed.
I looked up at Ellis who glared down at me, but put on a fake smile when the girl looked at him.
"Well, we better get going. It's past his bedtime." Ellis replied.
"Okay. Bye Ellis. Bye Uriah." She said.
I waved and walked away with Ellis.

"We're going home soon. Go get in the truck." He told me.
I walked to the truck and got into the backseat.
I waited for my brothers to come and I saw Maverick talking with Jonas and another person, I wondered what they were talking about, so I listened in.
"So who was the little kid with Ellis?" The stranger asked.
"That's our other brother." Jonas answered.
"Oh. How old is he?" The stranger questioned.
"Ten." Maverick replied.
Why do they keep telling people that?!

Ellis came over to them and said "Hey guys, what's up?"
"Hey Ellis, where's the kid?" Jonas asked him.
"Sleeping in the truck. He got tired, so I told him to go to the truck." Ellis lied.
"Well, that's too bad. I would have loved to meet him." The stranger said.
"Maybe next time. See ya later, man." Maverick replied and the guy walked away.

My brothers got into the truck and we drove home.
I put my pyjamas on and went to the bathroom.
Once I finished, I opened the door and started brushing my teeth.
Ellis came in and started washing his face.
"So did you like the football game?" Ellis asked me as I finished up brushing my teeth.
"No. I don't like sports." I answered.
He frowned and said "But you did before."
"I pretended to like sports because it was the only time you guys would let me do anything with you. I've always hated sports." I replied.
I walked out of the bathroom and to Jonas' room.
He gave me a sleeping pill and I took it with some water.

I went to my room and got into bed.
I waited for Ellis to come back into the room and he shut the door and shut the lights off.
I heard him shuffle around to his bed and I closed my eyes.
Even though I don't really like sharing a room with Ellis, and he certainly hates sharing a room with me, I'm quite happy that I don't have my own room. The only reason that I'm happy I don't have my own room is because I kind of feel somewhat safe with another person in the room. Especially since it's dark in the room.