Chapter Nine

The time came again for Shantael to report her progress to her direct superior. Uriel listened with some interest.

"Since peacetime continues, my unit has mostly been focused on bettering the lives of humankind," Shantael explained. "We've started local. I'm happy to say that, thanks in part to our efforts, the crime rate in New Orleans has decreased, more food pantries are stocked, and revenues through tourism have increased."

Uriel nodded. "That is exceptional work, Shantael. But you always bring your best, and we have expected no less from you since your return to Heaven."

Shantael beamed. "I appreciate that very much, General."

Uriel tapped his fingers against the desk. Office space in Heaven was more of an abstract concept. This was the origin of the open floor plan.

"Is there some way that I can improve?" Shantael asked. The relative silence had her unnerved.
"Not at all, Lieutenant," Uriel replied. "You've done beautiful work. So much so, in fact, that we are interested in transferring you out of New Orleans."

"Really?" Shantael frowned. "I... guess that's an honor. But... why? Where would you move us to?"

"Oh, that's not quite settled yet," Uriel answered with a wave of his hand. "It's just an idea my brothers and I have been throwing around."

Shantael did not miss the backpedal. "Which alternative places came up in discussion? Just so I can prepare my troops in case," she added as if to seem less distressed by the possible move.

"To Los Angeles, or Sacramento, or Kansas City, if we kept you in the States," Uriel answered. "Otherwise, Glasgow, or Madrid, or some similar place more impactful to human society. We would request your input, of course, if we did give this earnest consideration."

"Of course," Shantael said.

"We do ask, officially, that you continue training your unit and rehearsing with other units in case of conflict," Uriel continued. "As you know, there is a matter with the Nephilim that may spill over soon. Your troops are stationed closest to their known headquarters at the moment."

Shantael nodded.

"How has Gabriel been?" Uriel asked.

"He's improving," Shantael sighed. "But he has a long road ahead."

"We know it." Uriel rubbed his temples. "The extent to which Satan was able to affect him is... surprising. But he will recover well, and soon. We are certain of it."

"If I may," Shantael said, her tone wary and her words careful, "once Gabriel is readmitted to Heaven, will he have access to continued care?"

Uriel's lips drew into creases. But he returned evenly, "How long would you expect him to need such care?"

Shantael balked. A long moment passed in silence. Then she said, "He was in the Hellhole for years, Uriel. It will take him years to recover."

Uriel leaned back in his chair.

"But he won't need as much here," Shantael added quickly. "Jael and I will help him get through the toughest patch on Earth. When he's back here, he'll probably still need your patience and understanding. That's all I really mean."

Uriel relaxed and nodded. "That is excellent to hear, Lieutenant. We have missed Gabriel. And, of course, it is his season now."

"That it is," Shantael said.

"The past few winters have been difficult without him. We each shouldered the extra burden. It stretched our resources." Uriel shook his head. "Yes, he is sorely needed. We hope to have him back by the beginning of the new year."