Chapter Sixteen

"Well, Accuser," Jael said. She and Gabriel sat on the sofa, vaguely relaxed. "Long time no see."

"Indeed," Averel said before turning her gaze to Gabriel, quite pointedly paying Jael no attention. Unfortunately for her, Gabriel had already retreated back into his shell. The empty look was in his gaze, and he had said nothing following their arrival at Shantael's house.

"Where were you this evening about an Earth hour ago?" Averel asked Gabriel.

"At dinner," Gabriel said, his voice barely a whisper.

He offered no further details. "We went out to a mortal restaurant," Jael said. "We left here about an hour and a half ago. As you can see, we've just come back."

"Who was with you?" Averel asked, still looking at Gabriel.

"I was with him," Jael said after Gabriel did not respond. "Otherwise, there were several humans present, including restaurant staff and patrons."

"Is there any proof of your presence there?" Averel asked Gabriel.

Gabriel reached into his pocket, took out a crumpled paper, and handed it to Averel. It was the receipt from Gabriel's credit card transaction.

At that moment, seeing the receipt, something clicked in Jael's mind, and she had to stifle her gasp.

Averel studied the receipt, especially the date and time marked upon it. "Very well," she said after a while. "However, is there evidence of your continued presence there? An eyewitness, perhaps?"

"I was there," Jael said.

"Other than the known liar Jael," Averel said to Gabriel.

At that, Gabriel's gaze took on a sudden glow, and he growled under his breath. "Address her properly."

"I have, fallen General," Averel replied coolly. "And whatever for? This is rather beneath me, you know. Tarrying with a disgraced archangel and his well-worn pet? I've done much better than this over the past year. Be glad of my attentions, Messenger. I would not be here if not for the nature of the item that was stolen."

"What do you know of the Aleph?" Gabriel asked.

Averel returned, "How do you know that it was the Aleph that was stolen?"

This time, Gabriel audibly growled. "I am still an archangel, Accuser. When anything connected to the Demiurge goes missing, I feel the loss."

Averel pursed her lips. An awkward silence fell.

"I believe the restaurant had cameras," Jael said. "You can review the security footage. We were there for the full hour and a half."

The Accuser's gaze flickered to Jael again for a moment. "Anything else?"

"Answer my question," Gabriel said.

"You have no command over me, fallen General, and you are not the interrogator here." Averel turned up her nose. "I will now search the premises for the missing item."

"Do you even know what it looks like?" Jael scoffed.

Averel raised an eyebrow. "Do you?"

Jael rolled her eyes and flopped against the back of the sofa, her arms folded. Averel walked around the living room and kitchen, then disappeared up the hallway. She returned a few minutes later.

"You know nothing," Gabriel said.

Averel narrowed her eyes. "You are as insufferable as ever, Gabriel. Even with a new face."

"Watch it," Jael warned. "Only I get to call him mean things."

"And you, Jael." Averel sniffed. "You two deserve each other."