Chapter 4:

Chapter 4:

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(

Parker almost stopped dead in her tracks when she saw the artifact. The properly professional faces all gazed at her with the same cold, calculating looks. They were sizing her up to see if President Ammon had indeed made the right choice in who to trust. She held her head up higher, and straightened her back giving off the aura of indestructible confidence. But, not to the point of arrogance. She knew enough about politics to understand government officials hated being treated as if they were inferior. They were already hesitant to ask for anyone's help who didn't have a direct tie to the government. The Sergeant pulled her forward, gently. The first time he'd shown her any real respect since she'd met him.

Parker stopped directly in front of the table, hands clasped tightly behind her back. Much to her surprise, it wasn't President Ammon that addressed her first. It was a middle aged man of about 45, with hair that was graying in just one spot directly above his eyebrows. He had deep set brown eyes that seemed even colder as they watched her. His hands were wrapped neatly around each other, but his knuckles were white. Parker knew he was nervous.

"Ms. Daniels, before we begin, you must understand that what we discuss here must be kept in secrecy. If we wished for the public to know, they would know. If you choose to aid us in this peculiar journey, then you are hereby disconnected from your past job for the time being, as well as any personal life that does not revolve around the case. Do we have an agreement," the man asked in a heavy Grecian accent. Parker just stared at him for a few seconds unable to form a coherent response. She shook my head quickly, "no. Not until I know what's going on here."

The man signed, "my name is Adon Spiro. Part of the Grecian government. A few days ago, after the collapse of an ancient monument, the police found this artifact. According to manuscripts that have been passed down to generations, this was how the ancient gods and goddesses found Athena's hidden temple. The one made entirely of gold." Parker stared at the little golden pyramid with indeterminable language written on it. It shone, catching the light in the room. The fluorescent bulbs made the artifact seem that much more golden. Parker stepped forward, and reached out a steady, slow hand to the pyramid. It was cool, heavy, stone, and thick. Definitely real gold.

"How did you get this," she asked, "who brought it to the government? I know many people who would just keep this priceless piece for themselves." Immediately, David Greener shot into Parker's head. She would have to call Lana whenever she got a free moment. President Ammon stood, "Mr. Spiro and his associates were on the sight within an hour of it happening. A monument collapsed with tourists inside. It was hardly something they could allow others to handle, Ms. Daniels." Parker didn't miss the sharp edge in Ammon's tone. He was warning her not to seem unfit in the eyes of his associates, or they would find someone else to do the job. Someone who didn't questions.

She inclined her head, "I apologize, Mr. Spiro. But, I must ask, what is it exactly you want me to do?" Mr. Spiro ran a hand through his graying hair, before walking towards her, "Ms. Daniels we need you to find the Golden Temple."

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(

Parker found herself sitting in another machine high in the air. Except, this time, it was much more comfortable with complimentary drinks, air conditioning, televisions, and of course the entire Grecian government. After she accepted the strange case of finding an ancient temple that may not even be real, Parker was pushed on a plane headed straight to Athens.

Apparently, she would meet the people who would accompany her on this mission there. Parker discovered the only reason President Ammon called me. The only way the Grecian government could reach her, was through the Egyptian government. Granted, about 75% of America's archeologists were stationed in Egypt, and they were probably just looking for one. She took out my phone to send Lana a quick text message. Parker was worried David wouldn't accept Lana as the authority figure. If he rebuked her, no one would be there to directly stop him. The embassy would say David-being the only real archeologist out of the ones left- was in complete control of the dig until Parker returned.

She closed her eyes, and rubbed circles on her temples. She was too stressed. Nothing was following the simple routine that was typical to her life. Instead, things were spiraling out of control. Parker looked over at the only other woman on the plane. She had dark, curly hair that was common to Greeks, and even darker eyes. Parker observed her. She was a high standing official-she wouldn't be here if she wasn't-but, she wasn't as powerful as the other men on the plane. Parker could tell just by the way the woman sat with her head turned away from the crowd of men. She was willingly avoiding the serious conversation the others were having.

Parker found this interesting. She had never met a woman that was perfectly content with her social standing, and didn't want to move forward. It was almost as if the woman wanted to be forgotten; she wanted to be looked over. Parker narrowed her eyes. This woman was just another mystery added to her list. And, she would solve every one of them, if it was the last thing Parker did.