Chapter 5:

Chapter 5:
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(
It was deep into the late night hours when they landed. This was the time where Parker would usually have retreated to her tent to go over everything that she'd found that day. But, here she was, walking in a large group of formal suits towards, yet another, very modernized building. Apparently, governments everywhere liked the prestigious look that glass and metal presented. Another Americanized decision. No one really talked as they walked from the helicopter to the building. Parker doubted they would actually be getting down to the nitty gritty here. It was most likely just the building they used to park the helicopter.

Her eyes found the woman again. She was walking away from the group, lost in her own thoughts. Her brows were drawn downwards in concentration, and she tapped her fingers against her skirt. She was forming a plan in her mind. Parker thanked her attention to details for the 100th time in the past two days. She wanted to keep an eye on her. It was just something that didn't add up about her. Adon Spiro fell into step beside her, "Ms. Daniels, I must ask you this. Do you think us incredibly insane for hiring an archeologists to discover something that may have never even existed?"

Parker sighed,"I'll be completely honest, Mr. Spiro. It's not something I would expect a government to spend time on. But, I can understand the need to put some sort of truth to the tales you were told. I know the feeling of wanting to find out if any of it was true." Adon nodded, seemingly satisfied with the answer he'd received. Yes, this was a strange case indeed. And, not many archeologists would've accepted the offer so quickly; however, there was something underneath mild curiously here; she intended to find out what. It was just like David Greener's sudden intrusion in het life. It was like her sister's week long-that turned into a year long- stay at her parents' house. There were things in life that you never plan to happen, but they put you in places you've never been before.

It's almost like they happen for a better reason than they seem at the time. Parker turned back to Adon, about to ask him exactly what time it was when they reached the door to the building. As if by a rush of energy, all of the government officials pushed eagerly through the door into a nicely air conditioned building with finger snacks already waiting for them. She realized that the officials weren't excited about the building itself, but, like her, were likely ready to get back to what they know best. They were ready to excel in their element again. She didn't fit in black tie settings with a lack of history to discover.

They all stood in a circle, patiently waiting. The officials began eating little crackers with Greek cheese. Parker was offered one, but she turned them down. She gazed out at the hazy, night sky. Greece was much nicer during summer than Egypt. That's when she saw the row of fine cars curving up the road to the building. She was right, this was just where they landed their helicopter. They would be going to their main building now. Adon came to stand beside her again, "you will be riding with Ms. Floros for the journey to our main building."

Parker knew who he meant instantly. She was the only other woman here. She felt excitement bubble in her stomach. Finally. She had to the chance to ask her a few, basic, questions. Parker didn't want to make the woman suspicious of her, so it wouldn't be smart to immediately go into deep, pushing questions. Those would come later after she opened up to Parker. Ms. Floros moved closer to them, pointing silently to the fourth car in the row. No words were spoken. She furrowed her eyebrows. Maybe she didn't speak at all?

The cars rolled to a stop in front of them, and everyone went to their respective cars. Parker let Ms. Floros climb in first. She moved elegantly, carefully. Each step planned out perfectly. Parker dived in clumsily. Once they were both safely seated, the driver took off. She cleared her throat, "it's nice to meet you, Ms. Floros." She looked at Parker, "I suppose you want to know my first name?" She inclined her head, "it would be nice." "Artemisia," she said, her tone sharp, "Artemisia Floros. Now, if you'll excuse me, I do have other government work to catch up with that doesn't deal with this train wreck." It would've been smarter to give her space, but Parker never had her successes by playing it safe.

"You don't agree with this mission," she asked. Artemisia put the paper she was reading down, and glared at Parker. With a frustrated sigh, she answered, "I think it's a waste of budget and time to chase a legend, but my...colleagues obviously disagree with me. Is that all?" She nodded her head, letting Artemisia get back to reading. She didn't miss Artemisia's hesitation when she called the other officials colleagues. So, Parker was right when she said Artemisia wasn't close to them. Parker could understand why if she acted with this much attitude on an everyday basis. Another thing that struck her, was how Artemisia blatantly disagreed with the Golden Temple mission. She truly did not think it existed. The archeologist in Parker itched to ask her more questions, but she just sat back, and put her mind at ease.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()(
Parker hadn't realized she'd gone to sleep until Artemisia was lightly shaking her awake. She opened her eyes, stretched, and yawned, glancing around. The car was parked in front of a building that was much more Grecian than the building she'd last seen. It was old as most government buildings were. Artemisia climbed out of the car first, moving to stand in the midst of her male co-workers. Parker was out next, lagging behind, lost in her thoughts. Parker was excited to actually get inside a room, and discuss this thoroughly.

The sun was peaking at the edges of the sky, signaling to her that she'd gone a full 24 hours with only about 30 minutes of sleep. Parker wasn't worried though. She'd gone much longer with less sleep. It was the life of an archeologist.