{•Chapter Eleven•}

Gwen felt her muscles tense up as the adversary walked into the office, his heavy footsteps the only thing she could hear besides her racing heart. The man beside her, Leon, was just as tense as he could hear his own heart threatening to burst through his ribcage and out of his chest. The bulky man stomped around the office and checked the armory before walking to the other side of the office. His back was turned to them and Leon grabbed Gwen's hand. The woman was confused as to why the officer grabbed her hand, but she remained quiet.

Leon quietly and slowly emerged from behind the desk while tugging Gwen along. They crept out of the corner office and failed to notice the man had turned around. Gwen was the first to hear his scurrying footsteps and glanced in his direction. "Shit, he's spotted us!"

"Then we're running!" Leon gripped Gwen's hand tighter and pulled her out of the S.T.A.R.S. office. They knew the man was hot on their heels by the sound and the floorboards shaking under them.

When they reached the spade door in the library, Gwen's hand was yanked from Leon's as her body was lifted off the ground. Screaming in fear and pain, she kicked her legs back and forth as the hand around her neck tightened.

Leon turned to see the titan strangling the life out of Gwen and drew his shotgun. Before he could fire, the towering man used his other arm and smacked him across the room. His back slammed against a bookshelf, a handful of books falling off the shelf and pelting his body. Pain coursed through his entire body as he tried to move and help Gwen. All he could hear was her strangled cries. "Dammit...!"

Fighting through the pain, Leon used the bookshelf to get back to his feet just as the brute wrapped his other hand around Gwen's throat. Gasping for air, the archivist tried to pry the man's hands from her throat while trying to kick him in the chest. Leon grabbed his shotgun and fired at his arms, forcing him to drop Gwen. Her body fell to the floor, gasping for air and coughing as she tried to crawl away from the assailant.

The large man stomped over to Leon and punched him in the face, sending him back to the floor. Gwen weakly drew her pistol and shot the adversary, his attention now back on her. She stumbled to her feet and out the spade door. As she tried to run to the stairs, the brute back handed her and her body fell over the railing. She screamed out as she fell and her body collided with floor below. Her cries went silent as her body slammed against the marble.

Hearing Gwen's screaming, Leon crawled to his feet and rushed out of the library. Peering over the railing, he saw the woman's body and the brute lumbering down the stairs. The officer grabbed his newly acquired magnum and fired a bullet at his head. The single projectile was enough to cause the man to stumble and fall to a single knee before he could reach Gwen. Leon knew the brute wouldn't be down for long and rushed to the archivist's side. He saw a small amount of blood by her head. "Oh, god, Gwen..."

Leon knew he shouldn't move her body, but he had no choice. Scooping Gwen's body up in his arms, he didn't hear a single noise from her, which worried him. He used his back to open the door to the west office and carried Gwen through to reach a safe place. He decided to take her to the dark room, knowing the man wouldn't be able to find due to being incapacitated.

In the dark room, Leon cleared the desk and placed Gwen's unmoving body on top. His heart was racing due to worry as he examined her. He found a gash on the back of her head, blood dripping from the injury. "Shit..." He patted his pockets and searched for anything he could use to help her. When he found nothing, he gritted his teeth with frustration. "Dammit!"

Leon rushed into the dark room and found a towel, wetting it in the sink before returning to Gwen. He used the white fabric to dab at the cut gently. He wiped the blood from her hair and checked her breathing. Luckily, her chest was rising and falling slowly in her unconscious state. Leon knew Gwen wasn't killed by the fall from how the brute continued to pursue her after knocking her from the second floor.