{•Chapter Sixteen•}

Gwen climbed onto Leon's back. He hoisted her up, cupping her thighs while she wrapped her arms around his neck loosely, making sure not to strangle him. He walked over to a jammed lift and hopped down with Gwen on his back. The archivist was impressed when he jumped down into the monitor room and landed without an issue. "Who're you? Super-Man?"

Leon chuckled as he readjusted her slightly. "I could be."

"You might look good in spandex," Gwen smirked, imagining Leon in a skintight suit. The blonde went to look over his shoulder to peer at her face, but she stopped him by placing a kiss on his cheek.

Leon pulled out a chair with his foot and allowed Gwen to sit down. He kneeled in front of her, placing a hand on her knee. "Stay here and rest. I'm going to look around."

Then, the two heard a loud groan coming from beyond the garbage room. Leon retracted his hand as he faced the direction of the noise. "I don't like the sound of that..."

Gwen's eyes squinted as she looked out the cloudy windows adjacent from where she sat. "What the hell could that be?"

"Not sure." Leon approached the glass, placing his hand against the cool surface. He surveyed the garbage room and his eyes locked on to a bright crimson object. He was able to make out what, or rather who, it was. "Ada!"

"She's in there?" Gwen gasped.

"Yeah." Leon knocked on the window, wondering if she could hear him. "Ada!" He received no response from the woman.

"Leon, we need to find a way to get to Ada," the archivist said, ready to stand up and help him.

The blonde stopped her before she could get up from the chair. "I'll find a way. You stay here and rest. I don't know what the hell that thing did to you, but you're still pale."

"But, Leon-"

The officer silenced her with a kiss. "Just rest, Gwen."

The young woman reclined in the chair, knowing she wouldn't win this argument. "Be careful, Leon. Who knows what else is down here with us."

The blonde placed a hand on top of her head with an affectionate smile. "I will. You focus on getting better."

<--------<<<<<<<<<

Learning what he needed to reach Ada, Leon departed from the monitor room in search of three missing plugs. Luckily, they were designed with chess pieces and he already knew where one was. Now all he had to do was bring the three remaining plugs back and place them in the correct power panels.

Before heading down to the lower waterway, Leon searched by the cable car and found a T-Bar valve. Searching his memories, he remembers spotting a sign with the picture of a T-Bar handle beside a door before Gwen was grabbed by the monster in the lower waterway. "Guess I'll be paying that thing another visit."

The officer backtracked and headed through the only other door he hadn't been through. Down the stairwell, Leon was nearly grabbed by a zombie in a neon vest, but he was able to draw his knife and stab the animated corpse through the skull. He went to reclaim his blade but was stopped by another zombie wearing a navy blue jumpsuit. The blonde pulled out his handgun and shot the dead man a few times before his body became lifeless. With both assailants dead, he yanked his combat knife out of the construction worker's head. "Sorry, but I'm going to need that back."

Leon found a lever on the wall, pulling it and unsealing the left tunnel of the lower waterway. He entered the murky water and headed down the pathway, hoping the monster from earlier was gone. Morosely, the slimy creature emerged from a pipe and obscured his path. Ignoring the pile of flesh, Leon ran around it and reached where he spotted the sign.