{•Chapter Thirteen•}

"What do you mean you're the project?" Ada questioned, resting a hand on her hip.

"Exactly as I said. When I was five years old, I was kidnapped by a group of men wearing masks who killed my parents and took me to an underground lab. Dr. Griffyn, the man who gave the orders, injected me with different chemicals. The properties of my blood were manipulated and changed. If you stir it, you activate the many chemicals and it turns silver," Gwen said.

"Well, that explains the name. What else can you tell me?" Ada wondered curiously.

"Once it turns silver, the healing properties can heal any wound within minutes."

"Interesting. If it's such a miracle elixir, why not use it on your own wounds?" The agent inquired, gesturing to Gwen's wounded palm as she shifted her weight between legs.

"The healing properties don't work on me. My body has adapted to the chemicals and they no longer heal my wounds rapidly. Although, if someone were to ingest my blood while the chemicals are activated, any wounds inflicted on them heal within minutes without any complications."

Ada cupped a hand under her chin. "How extraordinary."

"What exactly are you after, Ada?" Gwen asked.

"More info on the people responsible for this mess, and I think they're connected to your kidnapping." Ada glanced over at Leon, who was practically glued to Gwen's side. "What about you? Trying to save the world?"

"I told Lieutenant Branagh I'd bring help," Leon replied, pulling Gwen along as they walked down the street.

"Good luck getting that..."

At the end of the road was a gun shop. The bright, scarlet letters were like a beacon in the darkness. The trio arrived at the shop, noticing the road suddenly ended. "Road's out," Ada said.

"I knew about the sinkhole, but I had no clue it was this big." Gwen stared at the collapsed road, admiring what the sinkhole had revealed. "What about the gun shop? Could we go through there?"

"We'll see." Ada walked up to the doors, kneeled down with something in her hands, and tinkered with the lock. Eventually, she unlocked the doors and pushed them open. Displays were knocked over and debris was scattered across the floor. "What a mess..."

Gwen released Leon's hand, scanning the interior of the shop. "It looks like the place has been ransacked. Maybe we can still find some ammo if we look."

"Good idea. I'm running low on shotgun shells," Leon said.

The archivist separated from Leon and Ada, scavenging through the shop. She found a couple of opened boxes of shotgun shells and a handful of handgun ammo. On a shelf, she found a grenade and held it as far away from her as possible. "I'll give this to Leon later." Gwen hooked the grenade to her hip pouch. When she spun around to search for Leon and Ada, her eyes widened in fear as she came face to face with the barrel of a shotgun.

"Don't move," the man holding the weapon commanded.

"I-I'm sorry, I-"

Gwen went to raise her hands, but the man snapped at her while tugging back on the fore-end. "I said don't move!"

"Hey!" Leon shouted, grabbing the stranger's attention. He kept his shotgun aimed at Gwen while gazing at the person who yelled at him. "We're just passing through. I'm going to ask you to lower that weapon." Steadily, Leon approached the man and Gwen. The gun didn't move as it was trained on the young woman's head. He stepped in front of her protectively, the gun now aimed at his chest.

The man shoved the nozzle of the shotgun against Leon's chest as he took a single step forward. "You both are going to turn around and go right back out the way you came in."