Chapter 5

*Unedited*

I didn't see her again after that. Not that I didn't want to because it was almost as if her soul had imprinted on mine and called to me ever so often. But I couldn't see her again. I didn't like the weird effect she had over me. It was like I became powerless in her presence and lost all control and I couldn't let that happen anymore. After all, my name is Lucifer. I was the ultimate traitor, the source of all evil. I couldn't become weak to a little girl.

Oh, we're back to that again. How often do you keep these pity parties?

I practically growled at the voice inside my head. After days of ignoring Mira, and days of silence without the voice in my head, I had genuinely thought it had left. I was back to being alone.

You're so annoying.

Ditto. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I liked the feeling of being thanked. I felt a warmth spread all over my body when she said 'thank you' that morning yet still that feeling was quickly replaced by guilt. I didn't deserve a 'thank you.' I spent my days destroying the lives of others to make everyone experience the torture I called life. I took the lives of many, women, men, children- I didn't care. They were all just bodies to me, I had no regards for their souls. So, I didn't deserve it.

It's never too late to change.

Maybe I was a coward.

A coward doesn't take on the Almighty. Bravery was never your flaw.

Yet again the voice in my head was right. I was never a coward nor was I weak. But maybe I was comfortable with my pity parties, maybe I was comfortable with the torture...it gave me a reason to hate someone else rather than myself. Maybe I was scared of changing.

Maybe you need to decide if redemption is really what you seek or if you want to burn in hell forever.

I didn't have the time to think about what the voice in my head was saying because suddenly I felt a rush of fear come over me. I was confused at first because I wasn't sure what I had to fear but then I realized that the fear didn't belong to me. It was the fear of someone else. But why was I feeling it?

Lucifer.

That wasn't the voice in my head. No. That voice was sweet and melodic. It was the voice I had come to know to belong to the human who I wanted nothing more to do with. The voice belonged to Mira.

Lucifer.

She sounded afraid and that didn't sit well with me. I wasn't sure why I cared for the human or if I even did but I was affected by her somehow. My chest tightened as another wave of fear washed over me and that brought me to my feet. Why was she calling out for me? If something was wrong shouldn't she have called out for God? Or someone else? In fact, anyone else. Just leave me alone.

Lucifer, please!

The last one sounded desperate and I suddenly found myself where she was. I found her trapped in her car which was half submerged in a lake. With a quick glance, it was obvious she had met in an accident and her car was thrown off the bridge above us. There was blood and despite usually feeding on the pain and chaos of many, I felt weak.

Mira immediately sensed my presence and her eyes, which seemed to be losing life, met mine in a hurry, quickly pleading with me to help her. But she was barely holding on to life and I had long given up on saving people.

There was blood gushing from her head, and she seemed to be holding on to one of her legs from where the car was hit. And the half-crushed car was sinking. In my eyes, she was a goner. That alone was enough to wake me up because suddenly I realized, I had just gotten Mira, even though I didn't know what she was, I had just gotten her, and I wasn't ready to lose her yet. Maybe I would never be.