Chapter 6

*Unedited*

I stood over Mira's body, watching as she breathed in and out...counting every breath and making sure her heart was beating at the right speed. I had wanted to leave. I almost killed her. But I couldn't bring myself to leave her and the fact that not long after the doctor felt her pulse and managed to get her heart rate and blood pressure back to normal, I definitely wasn't going to leave her. When the doctor declared that she was ok, I had to force down the prayer I wanted to mutter thanking God. That wasn't my life anymore.

Looking down at Mira, I realized how much she had recovered this past week. She wasn't feeling much pain anymore and could actually go home if she were to wake up and all was right with her head. With a deep sigh, I sat in the chair near her bed. Her friends had finally gone out for lunch so I could enjoy her presence alone.

"This feels familiar."

I was hearing her voice now. As if the voice inside my head wasn't driving me crazy already.

"Except the last time I wasn't in a hospital gown and you didn't look so stressed."

I looked up at that and was surprised to discover the eyes that intrigued me so much staring into mine. She was awake. This felt unreal yet I didn't dream so it must have been real.

"Are you okay?" she looked so concerned for me as if I was the one lying in a hospital bed.

"Why did you call for me?" I ask the question that has been on my lips for the past week, needing to know the answer.

"What?"

"You remember what happened right?" I got up and walked towards her, my concern for her rising. Did she lose her memories?

"Yes, I do. I was in an accident," she coughed, her throat probably dry from her deep sleep. I reached for the water beside her bed and gave it to her, watching as she sipped it slowly.

"Why did you call for me?" I asked again.

"Because you always show up when I'm in danger. You always save me," her response was so honest, her eyes so trusting. I ran my hands through my hair, gripping the strands roughly.

"I'm not a hero. I don't save people."

"Well I'm alive, aren't I? If you hadn't gotten to me in time and saved me from drowning with my car then I wouldn't be here" she seemed so sure of what she was saying.

"The ambulance saved you. They arrived a few seconds after I pulled you out," I argued.

"But if you hadn't pulled me out, would they have gotten to me in time?"

No.

But I wasn't anybody's hero. If only she knew who I was then maybe she wouldn't have called my name. Maybe she would be scared...as she ought to be.

"Where is your family? Your parents, your siblings?" I asked again. The question had been haunting me almost as much as the first one.

"I don't have a family," the words were distasteful coming from her mouth and for some reason I found it displeasing, the idea of Mira having no one not resting well with my spirit. She was alone, like me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, needing to know if she really was alone.

"My parents abandoned me when I was a baby. I grew up in homes until I turned eighteen and could finally leave. I don't have a family," she explained easily as though the words didn't bother her. I frowned at her, "I don't need you pitying me."