2

Your eyes were fixed on your foot.

You were tapping it against the leg of the chair. Slowly, rhythmically, along with the ticking of the big clock on the wall.

«So... you say you don't remember anything.»

The young psychologist sat various feet from you, in the almost empty room.

«More or less.» you murmured.

«They kept you locked up in the basement most of the time, correct?»

You nodded.

«Do you remember being in any other part of the ship?»

«The deck. Maybe the crow's nest.»

«Why would they bring you to the crow's nest?»

You pressed your lips together.

«I don't remember.»

That was your fourth session.

Usually, faking your way out of it was easier. That time, though, you found someone you weren't expecting, waiting for you beside the therapist.

Tsuru-sama sat in front of you, her marine jacket draped over her shoulders, arms crossed on her chest.

You always had the impression her dark eyes could see right through you.

«Both your skin and your hair were exposed to salt and sun. Do you remember being on the deck for extended periods of time?»

«As I told you before, it's all very blurred.»

The young woman attempted a smile, even if you didn't really look up.

«Don't worry, nobody is judging you. This kind of amnesia is very common after traumatic events.»

You quickly glanced at Tsuru.

She wasn't really saying anything. Just sitting there, observing you.

«Pretty soon after your imprisonment, a group of volunteers came looking for you. Do you recall seeing them?»

«Not really. It's weird... it's like I know it happened, but I can't really get a grasp of it.»

You closed your eyes and rubbed your fingers over them.

«They said you saved captain Koby and allowed the warship to escape safely.»

«Hm.»

«Do you know what happened next?»

You raised your crooked smile, bitterness crawling up your features.

«Nothing good, I guess.»

«Why don't you tell us what you do remember?» Tsuru finally said, unfolding her legs to lean more towards you.

You quirked an eyebrow at her.

«With all due respect, Tsuru-sama... I guess you read my report.»

She nodded.

«I know what you reported and I read your physical examination.»

«Well, good for you.»

The therapist rolled her eyes, already exasperated by your attitude. You had driven her crazy before, after all.

Tsuru turned to her.