Not Fond Of Secrecy

I was working on my assignments when I heard the door open from downstairs. I heard Annie's voice from a distance as it grew closer to me until she finally came into my room. Annie plunged onto my bed cozying herself into my comforters.

"So I need to talk to you," I turned my chair till I was facing Annie. "Im going out tonight... With Gregg" I was stunned I know Annie was talking to Gregg for some time but I thought he was still married to the blonde.

"You sure about this?" I asked her. I didn't want Annie to be hurt by this. She sat up playing with her fingertips.

"It's not a date, its two adults hanging out and I dont know what else," I had to be supportive.

"Okay when?" I asked her.

"Tonight and normally I wouldn't ask you but I need you to babysit Sadie. Its just I dont want her to think anything till I know whats happening cause than she gets her hopes up and it doesn't end well," I got up sitting at the edge of my bed.

"I'd be happy to babe" She gave me a hug squeezing tight.

Later on that day, I drove to Annie's house to babysit Sadie. When I got to the apartment Sadie was in her room as Annie got ready. I knocked on Sadies door before entering seeing her read a book.

"What are you doing munchkin" I sat on her bed looking at the cover.

"Reading this book my English teacher recommended she said it was interesting but I haven't found it yet" Sadie started smiling as she put the book down.

"How is everything," I asked her, I always knew Sadie would have trouble and I always defended Sadie. "Cause you know I can always bust out my karate moves" I moved my hands around to make it funny which made her laugh.

"Everything is okay, it's better and not what I expected," Annie came in already and looking gorgeous.

"Sadie I have a work meeting but ill see you tonight to give you a kiss goodnight," They started their handshake that I always found adorable. "hey, love ya"

"Love ya,"Both of them started smiling.

"Never put no one above ya!" Annie said bye one more time before heading out the door.

"So whats up with you?" Sadie sat up from the bed looking at me

"What do you mean"

"Im 11 not 5 you've been distracted by something," How does an 11-year-old guess this stuff.

"I have no idea what youre talking about,"

"Oh come on!"

"OK fine its just guy drama nothing you should be worried about, now come on let's go watch movies," I tried changing the subject getting up and heading to the living room.

After 2 movies it was time to put Sadie to bed she didn't fight it since she was also sleepy. After I finished I sat watching T.V until Annie came home. She was exhausted but she asked where Sadie was, after telling her that I put her to bed she headed to the kitchen.

"So how was the date?" asking her.

"It was great," Her face said something else.

"Your voice says otherwise," Annie got her vodka that was on top of the fridge before sitting down on her island.

"It was great, it was but then as we were driving home everything hit me" She took a chug of Vodka offering some to me. "That I'm scared that everything will happen again, we go into that puppy love then we hate each other then he marries some other girl and I have to act strong"
I grabbed her hand holding it for reassurance. "Im not exactly an easy person to handle,"