Three - Luke

I peeked over my shoulder at North as he headed back into the kitchen, quickly pulling the M&M packet from my pocket to eat while he was gone.

"You know he'll be mad if he finds out, right?" Nathan raised an eyebrow at me. I grinned and emptied the entire contents of the packet into my mouth.

"Finths oud whad?" I asked around a mouth full of chocolate as Nate shook his head and chuckled.

I turned my head again to see if my grumpy little brother was back, and thankfully he wasn't. Chewing my M&Ms and revelling in the satisfying crunch sound they made, I focussed my attention back on Nathan.

"Whad ar lu thoingh eahr anthywe?" I asked. He blinked, raising an eyebrow.

"Ask me again when your mouth isn't full of candy." He answered, not having understood my question. I swallowed and immediately regretted it, realising now that I didn't have anymore chocolate. I probably didn't have to pour all of it into my mouth at once.

Shaking my head in disappointment at my own lack of forethought, I asked Nathan again, "What are you doing here anyway? You're not scheduled to work today."

He smiled, though it didn't reach his eyes. "Rude. It sounds like you don't want me here."

My eyes widened and my mouth dropped in faux shock. "Of course I want you here! I love you shnookums." I winked and made kissy faces at him until he rolled his eyes and punched my shoulder. It wasn't as hard a punch as usual though. And he looked upset.

"Seriously, are you okay?" I asked. Nathan shrugged.

"Dad's coming home this afternoon. I don't want to be there when he gets back." He admitted, scratching the top of his jean-clad thigh. I frowned.

"I thought he wasn't coming back until next week?" I asked, worried for Nathan. He may have turned eighteen last year but he still lived at the house on Sunnyvale Court, where his asshole father also lived.  Though Charles was rarely home, he made Nate's life a living hell.

Shaking his head, he picked at the fries he'd ordered half an hour ago, still untouched. "He decided to come home early. Demanded I have the house spotless in time for his arrival like he's the fucking Pope or something." He scoffed.

"Hey, the offer's still open - you can come live with me and Gabe until he leaves again." I told him, well aware the Gabriel would have no qualms letting Nate stay with us.

He shook his head again. "No thanks. I'm too big for your weird little couch."

I laughed, recalling the ridiculous furniture my best friend had decided suited the living room of our two-bedroom apartment. It barely fit Victor and Sean - two of the leanest in our family - at the same time. It was an armchair to Silas.

"You didn't have to stay on the couch last time. You could've had my bed, I would've shared with Gabe." I reasoned. He shrugged, finally taking a bite of one of his fries and scrunching his nose up.

"This is cold."

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, no shit Sherlock. You left them sitting for thirty minutes."

"At least I didn't scarf down a whole packet of M&Ms in one mouthful." He laughed, and I joined him before the hairs on the back of my neck raised - indicating danger. Oh no.

"What the fuck did he just say, Lucian?!" North yelled from across the diner. When did he get back from the kitchen? I spun in my chair and watched him storm towards me. "Um, he didn't mean now - I think he was talking about some other time. A dream he had! Wait what were we talking about again?" I panicked through Nathan's silent chuckles. He was definitely next on my pranking hit list.