Charlie: Stubborn 1/2

Charlie POV

'Can't you just piss off?!' she yells before storming out of the room. This is what happened every time I try to strike up a conversation with (Y/N). Honestly, I don't understand how she and Todd are related. Todd is a shy polite guy, but then there is (Y/N), the only girl in Welton. At first sight, you'd call her reserved or shy, like her twin brother, but the moment you try to get close to her, she snaps.

Before you ask, yes I flirted with her, but only because I wanted to get to know her better. There is something about her that draws me closer...

I walk towards the dorms, and walk into one of them. 'Hey Todd', I ask the boy sitting alone in his dorm, 'can I ask you something?' He looks up at me and nods, putting his books down.

I sit down on Neils bed, opposite Todd.

'Has (Y/N) ever said anything about what she thinks of me, to you?' this seemed to surprise him, 'She only really talks to you, every time I – anyone – tries to get close to her, she just snaps... So do you know if she hates me.'

'She doesn't hate you...' todd says lowly, 'not really. It's just... something... difficult to e-explain.'

I lean forward a bit more, 'Listen, I don't mean to hurt her, I just want to get to know her, she just won't let me. Every time I try... she shuts me out.'

Todd sighs when he hears this, and told me: '3 months ago, she broke up with her boyfriend – ex-boyfriend – and he... didn't take it so well.' I look at him confused, but let him continue, 'They'd been together for 1,5 years. But it wasn't long after they got together that...'

'That?' I press on.

'He started abusing her, mentally and physically', he blurts out.

Rage started building up inside me. I swore to myself that if I even saw this guy, I'd make him pay for what he did to her.

'She just doesn't want to get hurt again', he ends, a lot more quiet.

'Thanks for telling me', I say before leaving, making my way down the hall.

There she was, exiting her dorm room. She looked around the hall, saw me, scoffed, then turned to leave.

'No, wait', I call after her, 'please...' This seemed to surprise her, as her pace faulted for a few seconds. This gave me enough time to catch up with her, yet she still wouldn't look at me.

'I'm sorry.' I say quietly.

'About?' she asks in a slight sarcastic tone.

'I didn't mean to give you the wrong impression. I just want to get to know you, even if it is as just friends.'

I could see her features become visibly more tense, 'Excuse me?'

'Todd told me about... your ex.' I tell her.

This made her turn to me, to say she looked angry, was an understatement.

'It wasn't his story to tell!' she yells, 'And it's none of your business! Just leave me alone, I don't need you toying with me!'

'I-I'm not toying with you, I-I swear', I say, startled by her statement. Without reacting to this, she turns to leave. I grab hold of her wrist, though gently not wanting to frighten her by the sudden action. 'Please... (Y/N), just give me one chance. That's all I ask, and if you don't want me after that, I'll leave you alone.'

Her tense stance relaxes a little. She sighs as if defeated, 'Fine.'