5. Travelers

Sadly, dawn came too quickly for anyone's liking.

Frodo got me up. He, Sam, and Gandalf had woken up before me.

Gandalf let me pack a small thing of clothes for myself, which I probably should have done last night, but given everything that happened, that never crossed my mind once.

Gandalf had taken a beautiful brown horse to accompany us temporarily. We four left Bag End, all accompanied by a walking stick of some sort. I felt heartbroken leaving so soon. I couldn't tell Rosie goodbye. I would never get the chance to, even if I asked for it.

The Shire was not safe anymore; we needed to get a move on.

The sky was a pale lavender accompanied by dark clouds lined with pink. The sun was rising.

Despite how tired I felt mentally, my legs kept me moving. I thankfully changed into something that suited travelling on foot: an ivory blouse and skirt just passing my knees. I had also remembered my brown cloak.

Frodo kept me up with him and Gandalf. Sam lagged behind.

"Come along, Samwise," Gandalf called behind his shoulder. "Keep up."

It seemed the journey to the forest took half the morning. It was partly cloudy, but the temperature was tolerable. I almost considered asking to ride the horse, but I knew that wouldn't be fair for the boys. If they could handle walking, so could I.

There weren't a large amount of trees being that we just entered the forest. I instantly felt smaller. I was so used to being in a village where everything made me feel like I was a normal height. The forest reminded me just how small of a creature I really was.

"Be careful," Gandalf said, breaking the silence as he continued to lead us. "All three of you. The enemy has spies in his service: birds, beasts." Gandalf stopped, the horse followed suit. Frodo stopped and I almost fell forward. Gandalf turned, looking at Frodo. "Is it safe?"

Frodo felt the little pocket that held the reason we had to leave the Shire. That blasted ring couldn't have gone anywhere else?

I was lucky Bilbo didn't leave me the Ring; I would try my hardest to give it away, or better yet destroy it if I had the means to do so.

Gandalf bent down so that he was somewhat eye level with Frodo. "Never put it on," the Wizard instructed, "for the agents of the Dark Lord will be drawn to its power. Always remember, Frodo, the Ring is trying to get back to its master. It wants to be found."

With those parting words, Gandalf mounted his horse and rode off into the forest, leaving Sam, Frodo, and me all alone.

I jumped closer to Frodo at a noise. Not even a day in and I'm already jumpy. I was a little upset at myself for feeling so flighty. I had good reason to feel on alert, considering Gandalf's parting words for us.

"Let's get moving," I suggested, my voice quivering. "We won't get anywhere standing here in the open."

"Right," Sam agreed.

It took a while to wander out of the forest. Once we were out, we encountered some countryside that we had to hike across.

I learned one thing in just the few hours we had been travelling: my feet were not equipped for long distances, nor was my patience, or my legs.

We dove back into another little patch of forest, but it was much shorter this time. We even encountered a small waterfall. We had a temporary rest spot there. I got the chance to splash water in my face to keep me energized.