16 - The Pass of Caradhras

There was no telling just how far off we were from the Gap of Rohan. It was most likely a longer distance ever since the Crebain had, I guessed, found us and reported back to their master.

We hadn't seen them since our first run-in with them.

It had taken a while just to reach the mountains. It was an entirely different atmosphere and scenery. I was intimidated by the snow at first, worrying how deep it really was. Thankfully, it wasn't too bad, so we Hobbits wouldn't get swallowed up.

For some reason, trudging through the Pass didn't bother me even though we were pretty high up. That wasn't what slowed me down while walking along the mountains; it was the damn snow that was making me lag behind. Sam, Merry, Pippin, and Frodo were faring better than I was, and they weren't much taller than me!

Fortunately, none of the Fellowship was cold or heartless enough to leave anyone behind. When I started falling behind, the others ahead of me slowed their pace. Aragorn was the only one who backtracked to help me amble through the snow. Quite frankly, I didn't understand his patience with me; I took a lot of time trying to make the ground I was losing. I guessed Aragorn's patience was because he'd learned to tolerate me when he first met me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one having trouble with the snow.

Whether it was because he fell behind purposely to keep an eye on me, or because he was having trouble trekking through the snow, whatever the reason, Frodo was struggling. At least I could have a shot at catching up to him than the rest of the Fellowship.

I anticipated someone to lose their footing and roll down to where I was. Too bad it was Frodo who was the victim of that. He tumbled down, colliding with me, crushing me into the snow. He quickly clambered off me as I sat up, snow all along my clothes, cloak, and hair. Aragorn helped us to our feet.

I shook my hair. Frodo felt for something around his neck. He looked at me wide-eyed. I paled. Frodo had lost the Ring. I was about ready to voice to the others that Frodo had lost the Ring in the snow, but there was no need to do so.

Boromir was the one to find the Ring.

An unpleasant shudder rippled down my spine. I held my breath, watching as Boromir picked the Ring up by the chain, holding it in front of his face. I knew that he was almost hypnotized by that foul piece of jewelry. I'd always known he was someone to watch out for.

"Boromir," I called, trying to snap him out of it.

"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing," Boromir murmured. My eyes flickered past him to see the Fellowship had stopped. "Such a little thing..."

"Boromir," Aragorn shouted. Boromir snapped out of his daze. "Give the Ring to Frodo."

"As you wish."

I could see Boromir didn't want to hand over the Ring back to its bearer. There was some sort of internal struggle going on inside him. But he obeyed, holding it out for Frodo. Frodo snatched it back. My hand tensed on one of my swords at my hip. I didn't know why, but something told me to be wary of Boromir. I feared it'd be another incident like with Bilbo and the Ring.

"I care not," Boromir whispered. I tensed when he tousled Frodo's semi-flaked hair, as if nothing had ever happened. My hand was completely wrapped around the hilt of the sword. Boromir was making me very uncomfortable. Luckily, he turned the other way to rejoin most of the Fellowship. I let out a held breath, my eyes still locked on Boromir.

"Marlena, relax," Frodo whispered. I flinched when he pried my hand off the sword hilt. He trudged onward.

It took me a minute to get myself to start walking across the mountain again. Looking from the corner of my eye, I realized I hadn't been the only one wary of Boromir. Though I acted as if I didn't see it, I knew that Aragorn had been ready to fight off Boromir should he have gone for the Ring. He had had his hand on his sword, too.