44 - The Feast

In a way, the dress felt appropriate since we were honoring the dead.

Though the dress was mainly blue, there was a stripe of black starting at hip level on the front. Looking at it before I put it on made me think the dress was a little dark for me. I wondered how on earth Éowyn had found something as unique as this that, not only looked amazing, but fit as well.

I began to wonder if these were her clothes when she was a little girl.

I kept my hair down, letting it trail down my back in ringlets. There was no need to accessorize, and there was no need for shoes if the dress concealed my feet.

I walked down the halls to the main room of the Golden Hall with an air of confidence. I could blame the dress for making me feel so good.

Most of the population of Edoras was already within the Golden Hall, filling up the usually huge space. Maybe I would see the children again from yesterday, Freda and Éothain. They obviously knew of me, and I wanted to see if Freda was feeling any better from our encounter yesterday.

I hadn't seen Éowyn since I had picked out the dress, so I had to assume she was amongst her people, greeting and talking to them. A sad pang rang in my heart. The people around me reminded me of the Shire and the Hobbits.

I missed home.

I timidly made my way through the settling crowd as most sat at tables. I scanned the people, trying to find some familiar faces. I decided to come to the feast, so I had better see someone I knew I could talk to.

I squeaked when a hand touched my shoulder. I whipped around, almost falling. My heart flew; I put my hands over it to calm it down.

"I didn't mean to startle you." It was the younger Man who I still didn't have a name to.

"Well, it was hard to not," I stammered, wheezing slightly. "Please don't do that again."

"I will try not to." He threw me a small, teasing smile.

"Why did you seek me out?"

"I came to check on you." He knelt down to my level, a bit offensive to me. My brown eyes narrowed at him. "Our group isn't going to let Merry and Pippin have all the fun in teaching you about yourself."

"What could you possibly know about me?" I folded my arms across my chest. "Last I checked, you're not a Hobbit."

"I'm not. However, I have spent some time around you, so I would know a few things."

"Do you mind elaborating?"

"I will in time, just not in a setting like this." He rose, ready to leave me.

"Wait!" The Man stopped. "I never got your name."

"Aragorn," he told me. He sauntered off soon after, disappearing amongst the people.

Soon, the population of Edoras settled down in the Great Hall, most with a mug of ale in their hands. I had a small one for myself.

"Tonight we remember those who gave their blood to defend this country," King Théoden said, his voice travelled throughout the Hall. He stood near his throne, a Man who looked to have seen many battles. He, like everyone else, held a mug of ale in his hand. "Hail the victorious dead." He raised his mug.

"Hail!" the Hall echoed. Everyone, including myself, took a sip of ale.

From there, the feast really began. People got in line for food, patiently waiting for others ahead of them. The community seemed unified, reminding me of home.