59 - One Last Shot

Normally, I would hate being on the pony for so long, because bouncing in the saddle for hours could really hurt your ass. Surprisingly, the pain didn't bother me; I was too focused on reaching the Black Gate and aiding my friends and their allies.

For hours I galloped across open plains, level terrain—the kind I loved to be travelling along. The scene had changed for me a half hour or so ago. The skies above me became dark, as though a storm was about to attack. This had to be a sign that I was getting close to Mordor, because I was sure it would be the only place in the world where it would look this gloomy all the time.

As the pony continued to carry me at a slow lope, I came across an unusual sight. A few horses, tacked and everything, were heading straight for us. They bore no riders.

I tried not to assume the worst.

However, as the horses and the pony reached each other, the horses slowed. I would have expected them to keep running, towards the way I had been coming from, back to Minas Tirith. I couldn't be far off from the battle, not if there were a few horses.

I stopped the pony, looking ahead in the distance. Though I was very far away, I could make out enough to assume that I had arrived at the Black Gate, or was close to arriving at it. Faint rumbling echoed to my ears—no doubt it was the roars of Mount Doom. Also, I could see a faint fire up in the sky, but I knew it was the Eye, even though I had never seen it before in my life.

With a nudge, I urged the pony to the same lope gait he had adopted, heading towards Mordor.

I was welcomed by other sights as I rode. Instead of my eyes lingering on what lay beyond the Black Gate, my gaze was stuck on what was going on in front of it.

Whether the battle had happened yet or not, I wasn't sure. But, judging by the all-too-familiar sounds of war, the battle for Middle-earth had only just begun. All I could see were Sauron's forces, blocking my vision of my allies.

I was going to have to ride through the crowd and shove my way in.

While the pony made his way towards the fight, I unleashed my sword, ready to slice into ugly Orc flesh. My jaw clenched, my heart pounded. A sense of adrenaline was starting to kick in, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

I was so close now, so close to breaking into the pile of enemies. The pony's labored breathing matched my hyperventilating—not out of fear—but anticipation. Battles were unpredictable; this one would be no different.

With the loudest battle cry I could muster to attract attention to myself, the pony and I barreled into the pile, making a breach. I swung my sword as the pony knocked Orcs aside. He was risking his life just as much as I was; he was probably getting scratched up more as well.

I still couldn't catch a sight of a soldier of Rohan or Gondor anywhere, nor could I see any of my friends amongst the chaos.

I was too busy swinging my sword that it had happened so fast. One minute the pony was racing through the Orcs, and the next, he was jumped. An Orc or two pounced on the pony's neck, throwing him down and ejecting me from the saddle. I yelled as I sailed over the battle. While in the air, I realized that Sauron's forces had created a circle around my allies, trapping them with no way out.

I flew for what seemed like forever before I crash-landed into the middle of the circle. I landed on my arm, smashing it between my body and the ground. I sprung to my feet, seeking out any friends of mine, or enemies to murder. It didn't take long before an Orc or two charged me.