10 - Rivendell

I wasn't sure whether or not to consider her a friend or foe; it was hard to know what to consider outsiders nowadays.

Her ivory horse caught all our attention. It was a much better sight than a black horse of a Wraith. The woman halted her horse, descending down from it lithely. She looked too beautiful to be of the human race. Her raven-dark hair was long, her blue eyes startling. She was speaking some language that I couldn't understand. If I had any clue, I could guess as to what race she was. It was obvious she wasn't a Hobbit.

"Who is she?" Merry whispered.

"Frodo?" the woman spoke. She knelt beside me just as Strider came back into view.

It clicked in my head; they'd found each other when Strider had gone out looking for that plant. For now, I assumed she was on our side. She didn't seem very threatening.

Still, there was time for her to prove me wrong.

I saw Strider chew up something, most likely the plant he had gone searching for. I took in the woman's features more to distract myself as Strider put the meshed up plant on Frodo's wound.

I couldn't figure out what race the woman was, but Sam beat me to it.

"She's an Elf," he murmured.

"He's fading," the Elf whispered. "He's not going to last. We must get him to my father. I've been looking for you for two days."

That was a little disturbing, knowing someone was searching for us. But it seemed that she was here to help, so I guess it didn't sound as bad.

Strider grabbed Frodo. I almost wanted to snatch him back, but I had to trust Strider on this—and the Elf now, too.

"Where are you taking him?" Merry asked.

It was like neither of them heard him. Strider carried Frodo to the Elf's horse.

"There are five Wraiths behind you," she reported. "Where the other four are, I do not know." Frodo was thrown onto the horse. My body tensed. Sam grabbed my arm to keep me from running to him.

To feel even more left out of the conversation, Strider and the Elf talked in a different dialect.

"What are they saying?" Pippin wondered.

"Your guess is as good as any of ours," I murmured.

"I do not fear them," said the She-Elf.

Strider and the Elf exchanged a long glance before he gave her a leg up. Hearing Frodo wheeze and seeing him look barely conscious made me squirm.

"I need to go with you," I declared. Strider and the Elf looked at me.

"It would not be safe for you," said the Elf.

"But he's my brother," I protested. "Wherever he goes, I go."

"There's no time to argue about this," Strider said harshly. "She can take care of Frodo, Marlena."

"I made a promise to him that I'd be with him, no matter what!"

"You're going to have to break it for your safety."

I grimaced at Strider. It seemed we were in a standstill, both of our stubborn attitudes refusing to cave in to the other. Sadly, I got the feeling that Strider was more stubborn than I was.

I was going to lose the argument, but it was better that I did.

"I'll make sure he stays safe, little Halfling," the Elf promised as she adjusted Frodo. "I'll make you that promise."