Chapter 32

The arrival into orbit was uneventful. The ship docked and the cargo crews began unloading the fresh produce from the surface while others loaded the garbage destined for the surface. Lincoln couldn't help but be impressed as he watched the cargo crews scurry around the cargo hold while the two guards guided him onto the orbiting station. They were efficient, that much he had to admit.

Lincoln was brought into a holding cell he had only ever seen the inside of during his basic training. He had seen no sign of Marie since he exited the ship and although he was tempted to ask the guards escorting him, he thought better of it. There was no point in giving away more than needed, in case they tried to use what he said against him.

He wasn't sure how many hours he had spent in the small cell when the door opened and Commander Hamil entered. There was a frown on his face and he seemed genuinely concerned. Lincoln jumped to his feet and gave him the customary military salute. The door closed behind Hamil and he motioned for Lincoln to have a seat as he sat down across from him. They looked at each other in silence for a few moments.

"It's been a while," Hamil finally said with a sigh and gestured at the cell. "I wish we were meeting under different circumstances."

"As do I, sir."

"What happened?" Hamil said, getting straight to the point.

Lincoln furrowed his brow. "What do you mean?"

"Your orders were to retrieve the subject-"

"Marie."

"Right, Marie, hold her until Colonel Hastings could retrieve her and bring you both back here. Instead, you both disappear."

Lincoln looked at Hamil and then down at his hands. "It's a long story."

"I have all the time in the world," Hamil said as he leaned back against the wall, his arms crossed.

"It just happened."

"It just happened?" Hamil leaned forward, his eyes wide and his eyebrows raised. "You're telling me that defying orders and running away from superiors just happened?"

Lincoln nodded. "I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's the truth. She felt she had unfinished business and she made a compelling argument."

"Lincoln, she isn't even from here. How could she possibly have any kind of unfinished business here?"

"You know who she is, right?"

Hamil nodded. "Of course."

"Then you also know-" Lincoln froze mid-sentence. Hamil had always been like a father to him, a friend of the family, his father's confidant. Was he listening as a friend or as his commanding officer, ready to take every word he said and use it against him in a military court martial? He locked eyes with Hamil and saw only compassion and concern. Was it real? If he revealed everything he had been through with Marie, the shelter, the tribes living and fighting amongst themselves on the surface, how would that impact Marie and her chances of survival? Where had they even taken her?

"Where's Marie?" he said instead of continuing his story.

"She's safe."

"What are you going to do with her?

"Lincoln, I can't really discuss that with you."

"Why not? It's my fault she's here, right? At the very least, tell me whether you're sending her back or not."

Hamil sighed and shook his head. "I can't share any of the details of the situation, you know that."

"Can I at least see her?"