Chapter 17

Greg is greeted by a very eager Jerry. "What happened, boss? Give us the debrief."

Greg doesn't know exactly what to say. His meeting did not give him any information on how to stop St. Nicholas. In retrospect, perhaps it was a failure. "I don't know how to stop him, guys."

The others look confused.

Greg tries to think of something inspirational to say, but he's already been honest. He doesn't know how to stop the killer because Frost simply couldn't tell him. Then he remembers what made him so eager to leave Frost's cell and go to work. "But guys, we're fighting extinction."

The others still look confused, but now are concerned as well.

"This guy can wipe out every human on the planet. Frost didn't tell me how to stop him, but he made me realize that. Guys, we absolutely have to stop him."

As they all walk out of the gate and toward the sleigh, each elf just looks down at the snow. It's discouraging news for sure.

"Look, guys. I'm sorry I didn't get the information we wanted. I'm sorry I didn't leave that discussion with more info on what makes him tick. I didn't learn how to take him down. But one thing I did get was some fucking inspiration."

The elves look up as they sit down in the sleigh.

"We're going to head to Paris now. We'll get there with half an hour to spare before his strike. We'll come up with a plan, and then that's it. It has to end there."

Eric shifts the sleigh into gear and takes off. The other elves don't look as inspired as Greg, but they certainly look serious. If nothing else, this trip was beneficial for the simple reason that each member of the task force now knows the truth: either they win the final battle, or all of mankind loses.