intro; camila

Thunk.

Lauren huffs as she falls to the ground. She looks up the find her two best friends giggling on the bed she had just fallen off of. Lauren sits up and adjusts the green scrap fabric so its tighter. She tightens her dark ponytail and crawls up onto the bed again. She pouts.

“We sorry Lolo,” Dinah immediately says, wrapping her tiny arms around the green eyed five year old. Lauren shrugs. She light she hands to help fix Dinah’s now twisted, low thick ponytails. Camila smiles at them slips off the stiff bed. She slips the large red bow from her hair and sets it on the table as soon as an older woman pops in.

“Hey girls, what are you up to?” the brunette lady asks. All three five year olds send her bright smiles in return and run to her. Camila stumbled, but the woman grabs her arm and laughs, steadying the clumsy girl.

“Miss Lani, me an’ Mani n Camzi are playing powerpuff girls!” Lauren exclaims happily. Kehlani, or Lani, nods and grins, beginning to untie Camila's red fabric from her chest and waist. Camila pouts.

“I see, but Mila has someone waiting to see her.” Kehlani explains, taking the little girl's hand once Camila is ready. Camila sighs and looks down to the floor. She hates meeting new parents. She never stays for very long because everyone says she has too much energy and isn't very good at following directions, so she always comes back (but that always means being with Lauren and Dinah).

“I don’t want to say anyone” Camila whines. Kehlani lifts her into her arms and presses a sweet kiss to her temple. Camila relaxes in the hold.

“I know Mila, but I have a good feeling about this one.” the caregiver promises. Camila shrugs, filled with hopelessness as usual. She adjusts her eyes so she meets the gaze of her best friends.

“We play after, DJ and Lolo.” Camila promises, holding out her pinky finger, being sure that the new couple will just return her again. Kehlani lowers herself so the tiny girls can lock fingers. The other two sigh and wrap their arms around the little Cuban.

“Bye Camzi.” Lauren sighs, kicking at the ground, feeling much disappointed that their game is being cut short.

“See you Mila” Dinah says with a small smile. Camila smiles and waves a little and Kehlani takes her downstairs.

Lauren and Dinah look to each other and shrug. Both of them plop down on Lauren's twin bed. The darker haired girl hugs her stuffed lion to her chest as she kicks her legs up. Dinah huffs, drawing imaginary pictures on the blanket. The two sit there in comfortable silence for a while until Dinah finally turns to her best friend and pokes her side.

“Lolo, let's go play outside.” she says. Lauren shrugs and nods, dropping her Nala onto the bed. She takes Dinah's hand and the two run together down the stairs. They pass by the little playroom, which the other five girls are playing in.

They walk slowly and peek around the corner and watch Camila talk to the new parents looking to foster a little girl. They watch carefully by the door frame. Camila is smiling and showing off her drawings of stick people, rainbows and bananas. Both girls are surprised to find it's two women, but they don't question it any further. Finally they sit near the door, their bodies laying against the wall.

“Do you think Camz will go with them?” Lauren whispers anxiously, folding her small hands in her lap as she looks at the ceiling. Dinah shrugs beside her.

“I hope not” Dinah whispers back, feeling slightly guilty for saying such things. They know getting adopted is a good thing, but they know they'll miss each other. Dinah takes Lauren's hand and the shorter of the two smiles a little.