intro to dinah

Uh fair warning, this chapter kinda makes no sense. Like, I'm constantly jumping from past tense to present tense and its kinds confusing, so I apologize. Hopefully you get the gist tho. Somethings are worded wanky, and tbh I'm too tired to go back and edit and reword things. So....there's that. Enjoy folks 💕💕

-

Dinah had learned a lot at a young age. She knew for one that, most of the people you want to stay the most will constantly be leaving your life. She first understood that when her parents died when she was three, and multiple times after when the people she trusted the most had to leave her behind. She also knew that two, nothing is forever. So at seven years old, Dinah had already lost interest in anything that was labeled as a "forever" thing, as even her bffs (which Dinah was surprised to find out stood for best friends forever) had left her.

And now Kehlani, her Miss Lani was leaving because she was going to a college. Dinah didn't exactly understand what college meant, but she did understand it was taking her Miss Lani from her so it was bad. Point blank, Dinah decided as a disappointed little girl, college was evil. Maybe not omit as evil as Mojo Jojo (the notorious evil monkey in her favorite show), but evil enough for her to hate it.

As Dinah peeked from underneath the couch, don't ask why she was there, she could see Miss Lani talking to one of the other caregivers. The petite brunette, Miss Hayley, was squeezing the tattooed woman's hand. Dinah pouted a little, because Miss Lani did that to her when she was sad, which happened to be quite often. Slowly the little Polynesian pushed herself from the hiding space and cautiously approached the older duo. When she saw her favorite person wipe her face, Dinah immediately went into action and ran to hug her. She didn't like when people cry, especially adults. Adults crying are scary.

"Hi DJ, what's up?" Kehlani had said, adjusting so she can face the child. Dinah just sighed, letting her head fall forward so it rested on the woman's chest.  Kehlani smiled gently and patted Dinah's back as an act of comfort. But Dinah only grew frustrated at the familiar action. She didn't want anyone to have her. Kehlani reminded her of all the good things, and losing that would mean losing something good.

"I love you" Dinah mumbles against the woman's shirt. Kehlani sends Hayley a watery smile, and the brunette just sighs and shrugs. Kehlani hugs Dinah tightly before prying her off her lap and setting her on the floor.

"I love you too, baby, but me and Hayley
have to discuss some things. Go on and play." she assures softly, ruffling the girl's hair and sending her off with a warm smile.

Feeling too caught up in her young emotions, Dinah just nods and shuffles to the living room.

-

That evening she fell asleep after being dragged away from Kehlani when the woman had to leave. It was tearful and completely difficult for both ends to do. Dinah ended up pushing everyone away and curling in her bed. But when she woke, she was surprised to find a short letter attached to a picture laying next to her head on her pillow.

Love you, DJ. I'll see you later, okay baby. We're a family and family doesn't leave each other for forever. Keep being the strong girl I know you are, sweet princess. Love you so much munchkin, and I'm so proud of who've you become.

                   -xoxo, your miss lani

Dinah read the words while she used a sleeve to wipe away tears from her face. She cried at the attached printed out photo: Dinah cuddling into the woman while Kehlani held her tightly in her arms.