to be happy, to feel happy

After weeks of leaving y'all dehydrated I fed you another chapter. Hope you all are quenched.

-

Dinah

Age 8-10

Dinah is sure she has never felt more happiness in her entire life before she screamed with delight and threw her arms around her now official adoptive parents. She was theirs, forever and always theirs. Now the sound of forever was comforting, because she has a sister and parents who could never love her more.

“I am always yours.” eight year old Dinah Jane Wood squeals. The loving couple kisses their daughters’ heads. Chris lifts Rebecca, who is older than her sister by just a few months and hugs her tightly. The arms around her make her feel warm and safe. Like nothing bad could ever touch her. Melissa ruffles her daughter’s head. Dinah’s ear is just above her heart and the little girl is sure she’s never heard a more beautiful sound in her entire life.

After a few pictures, the four piece family leaves the building and head to the car. The girls are excitedly holding hands and running down the concrete steps to the minivan. Their parents trail behind in content, knowing they’ve got their kids and it’s finally complete. They had mutually agreed to close their fostering license because they know their little family is just amazing. They could have never asked for better kid and they’re absolutely positive they’ve never met kids more grateful than their two little girls.

They eat dinner at a local diner and they spend first ten minutes arguing whether the girls can order adult meals because being eight obviously means they’re old enough. Melissa agrees but as soon as the waitress she orders kid meals and laughs at the way her daughters (and damn it feels good to say that knowing it’s official) give her looks. And then by the end they don’t even finish their kid meals which makes her laugh even more, because of course they wouldn’t.

-

Melissa takes her youngest’s hand and helps her out of the van. Dinah looks up to her mom in curiosity as the woman leads her down the dirt path.

“Mom, why are we here?” Dinah asks worriedly. Melissa gives her soft smile and squeezes her hand, but doesn't say much. They continue walking and not saying anything, just listening to birds chirping. Dinah gazes at the headstones and thinks about them. Do people still visit them? Are they lonely? Thoughts buzz as they walk until Melissa stops walking.

They're standing in front of a gravestone. Dinah peers at it and it clicks. She's not sure how to react, so she just walks forward a little and allows a little sad frown to slip onto her face. She crouches down a little and tilts her head as she reads off the words.

“Milika and Gordan Hansen. Mama, are those my real parents?” Dinah asks slowly. Melissa nods and gives the little girl a bittersweet smile. She kneels next to her daughter and rubs her back for support. She hands Dinah the flowers she had previously picked out at the store. Dinah turns the flowers around in her hands before kissing the soft petals and sets them down on the grass. She rests her hands on the stone and closes her eyes for a minute.

Melissa reads off the little poem engraving on it as Dinah stays silent.

“those special memories of you,
Will always bring a smile
If only I could have you back
Even just for a while
You always meant so very much
And always will do too,
The fact that you're no longer here
Will always cause me pain
But you're forever in my heart
Until we meet again.”

Dinah stays calm. She opens her now glossy eyes. She looks to her mom and Melissa kisses her head lovingly.

“Mom can I sit here by myself?” Dinah asks. Melissa nods and gives her a supportive smile. She walks back to the car where her husband puts his arm around her shoulder as she let's a few tears slip.