to be pretty, to see pretty

It's been a minute, hasn't it?

-

Dinah
11-13

Dinah has never been faced with much judgement about her adoption until she was in middle school. It was just as it was to everyone else when she was younger and no one else seemed to care, and to Dinah that was simply the best feeling in the world. Dinah's family had no difference besides not carrying the same genetics, but that difference made no significant meaning anyways.

It was then in her sixth grade science class during the punnett square unit that she learned people seemed to care about her family.

Sat in her seat up front, Dinah patiently doodles on her paper as the teacher finishes handing out papers. She gazed over the assignment placed in front of her and frowns. Of course it was a genetic assignment about her parents and siblings. Dinah sits up and looks up as kids just shrug at the class work and turn to converse with their friends. Dinah sighs, figuring she'd just have to talk to her teacher about it.

When the woman goes over the assignment and Dinah mentally curses it. Growing up since her adoption, her parents had told her that some people would judge or not understand their family, and Dinah has agreed that it didn't matter what people thought. They were happy and that's all they cared about. They never thought that family meant blood.

"So are we supposed to talk to our parents about like their genes and stuff?" One boy asks and the teacher responds with a helpful yes.

"How does that work with her, she doesn't even know her parents!" Another boy claims, pointing straight to Dinah with a smirk placed on his lips. Dinah turns a shade of red and sinks down in her chair.

"Enough, Alex, we don't talk about other student's personal lives. Apologize please," the teacher requests sternly.

"What did I say wrong? She doesn't know her real family.."

That's when Dinah picks up her bag and leaves so she doesn't have to hear a single word. She knows the teacher is calling her name behind her and she knows she'll probably have to see the principle for walking out but it doesn't matter. Not when someone is outwardly making judgments about her family.

Dinah walks until she finds a secluded corner under a stairwell that's not disgusting. Pulling her knees beneath her, Dinah sits and stares at her lap. She plays with the fabric of her skirt until the words of the boy are burned into her head.

Dinah could never be lied to. She always knew she would never get to know her biological family physically. Of course her parents had her visit their grave when she wanted and through visits with extended family members a couple times a year she got to know the kind of people they were.

"You would have loved them. They were everything good parents needed to be and the moment they set their eyes on they fell in love with you a million times. It was like light spilled into the hospital room the first time they got to hold you." Explained Dinah's ain't who had been there for her birth.

There had never been an argument about where Dinah belonged amongst her biological and adoptive parents. Dinah's aunts and uncles saw the way she is loved and thanked Chris and Melissa a thousand times for raising her and are thankful to see her once in a while even though they lived a couple states away.

Chance and destiny were two things Dinah believed in worked separately, but her own story made her believe they worked hand in hand sometimes. She always spent some time wondering what her life could have been living with her biological parents, but Dinah fell more in love with her family everyday.

But something he said sat wrong with Dinah. There was nothing wrong with not being related, Dinah has been raised on that, and even though she believed it something he said shook her a little. Did she mean less because she can't meet her biological parents?