Missing in Action

Jack's POV

The dance passed uneventfully. I couldn't find Elsa, but maybe it was better that way. No need to make Pitch mad too soon. But just in case Elsa was able to reach me during the dance, I wore a baby blue tuxedo. It matched her eyes.

"Hey Jack." Phoenix said. She was suddenly standing right next to me. I always found it funny how she could do that. She wore a red silk dress(Elsa's ice dress, except red), and her hair was in a complex braid down her back.

"Enjoying the dance?" She asked. I shrugged.

"Just looking around. Have you seen Elsa?" I asked.

"No, but I saw her come in with Pitch, Merida, and Hiccup. That was quiet the show."

"Yeah..." We stood there, enjoying each other's company for another while, just watching people make fools if themselves. Then Anna ran up to us breathlessly with a guy that I recognized as Kristof.

"I'm so happy for you Jack!" She squealed. I shot her a questioning look.

"Elsa dumped Pitch! Apparently, he spilled chocolate all over her dress. She took the chance and dumped him." Anna explained.

"That's awesome! Where is she?" I asked.

"She has to stay with Pitch until the dance is over, but then you two can be together again! The dance is only for another fifteen minutes anyway." With that, Anna and Kristof disappeared into the crowd. I grinned and counted down the seconds until me and Elsa could be together again. Finally, the teachers announced the dance was over. I stood by the door, waiting to see Elsa. She never appeared. Finally, the room was empty except for Hiccup, Merida, Anna, Kristof, Rapunzel, Eugene, and Phoenix. But no Elsa.

"Did any of you guys see Elsa leave?" I asked.

"No, I thought she was with you." Merida said.

"Nope."

"She wasn't with you Anna?" Rapunzel asked.

"The last time I saw her was by the chocolate fountain. She was telling me she finally dumped Pitch." Anna said.

"How long ago was that?" I asked.

"I don't know... an hour or two ago?" I was getting uneasy.

"Maybe she went to your car." Kristof suggested.

"That must be it." I said. We all walked outside and hurried to my car. The car I had hopes to drive Elsa to her dorm in. She wasn't there, but there was something stuck in the door. I had no idea what it was, but Anna picked it up with shaking fingers. It was a torn strip of purple velvety fabric. She was very pale. Hiccup took it gently from her.

"What is it?" I asked, half dreading the answer.

"Lsss cp." Merida whispered.

"What?" I asked.

"Elsa's cape. It's a piece of Elsa's cape she wore with her dress." Hiccup murmured. I took the piece from Merida. I held it in my hands. No, she was mistaken. This wasn't Elsa's cape. It had to be something else. There had to be another explanation.

"Maybe... maybe she left it to tell us she was ok?" I stammered, trying to convince myself as much as everyone else.

"There's something on the back." Rapunzel said. She gently pulled the fabric from my fingers and flipped it over. There was something written there.

No one likes the dark. Stay in the light Frost.

Rapunzel read the words to us quietly, and now there was no doubt in any of our minds. It was from Pitch. He was warning me away. I snatched the fabric from Rapunzel and tried to scrub the words off with my fingers. No luck. It was written in sharpie. I growled in frustration and threw the fabric on the floor. I heard someone clear their throat behind me, and I spun around angrily. Angel stood there, looking thin in her dirty dress. It was white, and supposed to look angelic, but it was tagged and dirty. She cowered back at my glare.

"Please don't hurt me!" She squeaked.

"Why shouldn't I?" I growled.

"Because I'm switching sides! I didn't sign up for this!" She protested.

"Sign up for what?" Hiccup asked. She looked at him with hopeless eyes.

"Kidnapping and murder." She whispered solemnly.