The Winter Ball

Jack's POV

It was three months later, December 1st. The night of the Winter Ball. The ball was in the same room as the Fall Dance, and everyone was dressed formally, and milling about or dancing to the slow songs. It wasn't as upbeat as the Fall Dance, but was more for the serious couples. Everyone was enjoying themselves, except for me. I was waiting for Elsa expectantly.

"Still waiting?" Eugene asked. I nodded. He was wearing a black tuxedo and green tie. He had healed well from the bullet wounds. We had gone straight to the hospital and rushed Eugene and Elsa into the emergency room. Eugene had been operated on to remove the bullets, and had been hospitalized for a month, until they were sure he was completely healed. Rapunzel had visited him every day, without fail.

Elsa had been hospitalized for two weeks, until they were sure the drugs were out of her system. I had visited her every day as well, as much as I could. I had to help file the police charges against Tad, Tod, and Pitch. The detectives and investigators called me in for interviews every other day, since they couldn't interview Elsa. Doctor's orders.

But now she was out, and I had never been happier in my life.

"Yeah. I hope she's coming..." I said. I looked back at the doors. They opened, admitting another couple. But not Elsa. Kristof joined us sadly, gazing wistfully at the door.

"Still no sign of Anna?" I asked.

"No. I'm guessing that she'll show up with Elsa." He said. He wore a princely outfit (Hans's suit he wore to Elsa's coronation). The doors opened again and Merida entered with Hiccup. They both wore they same outfits they wore to the Fall Dance. They walked over to us.

"No luck with your girls yet?" Hiccup teased.

"Rapunzel is here, I walked in with her. She just went to get something." Eugene said.

"And Anna and Elsa still haven't showed up." I said sadly.

"I wouldn't be so sure of that." Merida said and raised her eyebrows. I looked behind her at the door.

Anna entered, wearing a gorgeous dress (her traveling dress in the movie, minus the cape). Kristof smiled and they stood arm in arm grinning. I turned eagerly towards the door, begging for Elsa to step through it.

She didn't. Instead of my college love, a queen entered. It was Elsa, but so different. She held herself differently than she used to. She wore a sparkly blue dress which matched my tuxedo from the Fall Dance perfectly (her ice dress from the movie). She only wore a pinch of makeup, but she didn't need any more. Her eyes glowed with joy and she walked towards us. I picked her up and spun her around, then set her down. Rapunzel joined us a few seconds later.

"We're all here now. What should we do?" Eugene asked.

"Should we dance?" Anna asked.

"I don't want to dance. The songs are really boring here." Merida complained. Hiccup grinned.

"I could fix that." He said. He and Merida melted into the crowd, leaving the rest of us standing there. Anna's eyes narrowed.

"Don't look now, but it looks like Pitch is back from the dead." She said. We all spun around, staring in the direction she was looking. It certainly looked like Pitch, except slightly taller, and his black hair was combed down neatly and he wore glasses. And a very expensive suit. He walked up to us nervously.

"Uh... hello. I'm Headmaster Black. At your service." He stuttered. His voice was softer than Pitch's, and he seemed more compliant.

"Hello Headmaster." I said.

"I just wanted to say... I mean, I wanted to apologize... for my son's behavior. He can get a little out of hand sometimes. All of the hospital bills and such will be paid for by the school."

"Thank you." Elsa said kindly. The Headmaster shuffled his feet.

"Would it be possible... could you not press charges? This would really harm my reputation..." He mumbled. Me and Elsa glanced at each other.

"I'm sorry, but you should be able to control your son. I can't do that." I said. The Headmaster sighed, and then looked at his hands. I almost felt sorry for the guy.

"I understand. I... I hope you enjoy the dance." He said, then trudged away. At that moment, the music suddenly changed from a slow song with lots of violins to a more upbeat song. I recognized On Top of the World by Imagine Dragons. I smiled as I recognized Hiccup's handiwork, then offered my hand to Elsa.

"Shall we?" I asked. She grinned and we entered the dance floor, and I was happy that this nightmare was finally over. Because after all, I'm on top of the world.

--------

Thank you all of my faithful readers! All of you are so loyal. :) Please vote/comment. Thanks again!

~Cold_Matchmaker