Chapter 1《Back Home》

Xiao Jiashu had just returned back to his home country, and was currently sitting in the living room of his home. Several servants hid themselves on the stairs, pointing at him. There was no need to guess to know what they were saying. What else could it be but, “Why has Second Young Master come back? Why couldn’t he have stayed overseas? He’s just back to fight with the First Young Master for the family assets, and cause a lot of mess and trouble again”, etc, etc.

Really? Why did I come back? Xiao Jiashu asked himself as well. His mouth then curved into a lonely smile. There will always come a time when a traveller will return home. This was his home, why couldn’t he come back?

Upstairs, his father and mother were still in the midst of arguing. It had been several years since Xia Jiashu had last seen his father, and his father had aged a lot since then. The hair at his temples had already greyed, and his voice had also become extremely hoarse. His mother, on the other hand, looked exactly the same. Smooth skin, exquisite looks, gentle temperament; the passing of time had never once left a mark on her. Now, she was currently angrily questioning his father. “Why can’t you arrange a position for Xiao Shu[1]? Your brothers’ children[2] can assume key positions even though they never graduated, why on earth is it out of the question for Xiao Shu? He’s a master’s graduate of Wharton University’s Business School. Are you saying that even with that he still can’t compare with those cousins who graduated from a normal university or even dropped out midway?

Father Xiao returned grudgingly, “It’s not the matter of academic qualification. Without Father’s agreement, no one can just casually join the Xiao Group. Father has agreed to give Xiao Shu 5% stock share, don’t tell me that that still isn’t enough? With just those shares, he can live the rest of his life comfortably without doing anything.”

After hearing those words, Xiao Jiashu pursed lips trembled slightly. He couldn’t care less about those shares, and he didn’t want spend the rest of his life doing nothing. From the way he saw it, that wouldn’t be called comfortable but mediocre. He was the descendant of the Xiao Family, why couldn’t he put in work and effort for his family?

Mother Xiao was almost about to go insane. She felt like there was no way to communicate with her husband, and couldn’t stop herself from hissing out with all her breath, “Are you telling me that that 5% isn’t something Xiao Shu rightfully deserved? A few days ago, your father also gave 5% to each of your brothers’ children. That 5% is the share every grandchild of the Xiao Family should receive. How is it that when it comes to Xiao Shu, he’s suddenly bestowing him a special favour? Isn’t he your son? Isn’t he your father’s grandson? Is he some bastard I had with someone else? Xiao Qijie, you can’t be this partial. In your eyes, Only Dingbang exists, Xiao Shu is nothing to you! The reason he studied so hard was so that he could help you and his big brother after he graduated. He’s such a good child, how can you treat him like this?!”

“Enough, what nonsense are you saying?! He is my child; of course I’ll look after him. Not letting him into the Xiao Group is being partial? He doesn’t have to do anything and already gets 5%, who wouldn’t be envious if they heard that? Don’t think I don’t know what you’re planning; you want to use him to fight over a share of the family assets. You’re doing it all for yourself! When we married, we signed a premarital asset agreement. Have you forgotten that you said that you wouldn’t covet a cent of the Xiao Family fortune? If you’re not resigned, then go say it to father yourself. Stop endlessly pestering me here!”

Mother Xiao shrieked indignantly, “Xiao Qijie, you bastard! Back then, I most certainly did sign that prenuptial asset agreement. I didn’t marry you for your money. That is true. However, I am me, Xiao Shu is Xiao Shu, I don’t need a strand of anything from your Xiao Family, but Xiao Shu is your son. He deserves to obtain what should belong to him! You people cannot just cast him aside overseas and leave him to fend for himself, he is a member of this family!” Whimpering sobs came down from above, filled with grief, indignation and helplessness.