Chapter 4《First Job》

As he was going to become Ji Mian’s assistant, he naturally must first understand Ji Mian. As soon as Xiao Jiashu returned home, he turned on his computer, searched Ji Mian up and was shocked. Ji Mian was a grand slam film emperor who was the first person in the country to have won a Golden Horse, Golden Statue, Golden Rooster, Hundred Flowers and Marble Pillar Prize at the same time. He had also won countless awards overseas and had had a close brush with the Academy Award for Best Actor several times. His achievements were cool and dazzling with no equal. Furthermore, you wouldn’t be able to find any fault in his moral character either. He had supported many juniors, was extremely respectful to seniors and was willing to help anyone in need. His connections were explosively good. The replies underneath any casual Weibo post of his would all be from big shots in the entertainment world. It could be said that he could rally multitudes at one call[1]. The resources he had were all top notch, every film he acted in were classics, besides himself, there was no way for others to surpass him……

Xiao Jiashu silently finished reading his new boss’ data. After a long long time, he finally gasped in admiration. “This person is so cool![2]” He really wanted to watch every single one of his boss’ movies and dramas once, however, a single night’s time was but helplessly too short, and he could only hurriedly note down all of the names of the works, and wait until sometime in the future to slowly appreciate and enjoy them. Afterwards, he started researching about the celebrity assistant occupation. After all, he wasn’t a fan of Ji Mian. Whether he liked Ji Mian’s works wasn’t important, what was important was whether he could do his job well.

A celebrity’s assistant could roughly be categorised into three types. One: The normal type, in charge of the celebrity’s schedule like a secretary. Two: Planning and Marketing type, in charge of promotion, advertising, planning, public relations and other related work, and could also double as a manager. Three: Nanny Type, in charge of looking after the celebrity’s everyday life and necessities like clothes and food. The job content of a planning and marketing assistant was most diverse, but at the same time was the best job to expand your future prospects, and you could learn a lot of things. Xiao Jiashu naturally took a huge fancy for the planning and marketing assistant job, but was a bit perturbed when he saw the job requirements.

If you wanted to become a planning and marketing assistant, you first needed to be sensitive towards news events and have good project planning skills and organisational experience. Next, you needed to control an abundant amount of print media and internet resources, and have a sharp mind and strong logical thinking skills. You also needed have good interpersonal skills, be proficient in the use of all kinds of software in the workplace and the internet, have a solid foundation in written Chinese, strong language skills and a strong ability in writing news articles and documents. Finally, you also needed to have outstanding news planning and business public relations negotiation skills.

To summarise, being a planning and marketing assistant was not an easy job, but rather a job that required you to be strong in every aspect before you could distinguish yourself over others. Xiao Jiashu compared himself against every condition, and discovered with despair, Need experience: Don’t have any; Need media resources: Don’t have any either; Need a foundation in the Chinese written language: He left the country so early, there’s no way he’ll have that. The only aspects that he would be up to scratch in would probably be the negotiation and organisational skills. However, he wasn’t too confident about those two either. After all, he had never worked in this field, and didn’t know if he would be able develop any potential in it.

So even the job of an “assistant”, a job which sounded like it’ll be really easy was this challenging to do well in. Then under what basis did he think he would just be given a key position in the Xiao Group right after graduation? Would he be qualified for the task? Did he have the ability? Xiao Jiashu stared at the computer screen and the load in his mind that had silted over a good number of months completely dispersed all at once. His past delusion of “Return home in glory, fully brandish my great abilities and talents, and in the end, Dad, Big Brother and Grandfather will see me in a new light,” at this very moment was all brushed aside with a laugh.