Chapter 13 《Ungrateful And Treacherous》

Ji Mian looked at Li Jiaer who was sitting by his bed with a smile that was radiant and beautiful yet laden with grief. He couldn’t help but reveal an odd, and immeasurably dark and gloomy expression. He looked straight at her and said clearly, “This incident is in the past, stop before you go too far.”

Stop before you go too far? This was not a positive phrase! Li Jiaer felt a twinge of fear but calmed down when she recalled that He Yi was actually already dead, his father had sold their family property to immigrate overseas and his mother’s whereabouts were unknown. What was there for her to worry about? She didn’t dare to bring up Xiao Jiashu again, but still wanted to receive some safeguard from Ji Mian, hence she lowered her eyes to look at her phone.

At that precise moment, the alarm clock which she had set beforehand sounded. She immediately stood up and said anxiously, “It’s a call from the hospital, something must have happened to my mum. Ji’ge, I’m going out to take the call.”

“Go.” Ji Mian gave a light nod, and closed his eyes to take a nap.

Fang Kun sighed, “Li Jiaer really doesn’t have it easy…”

“Don’t speak.” Ji Mian raised a hand to silence him.

The corridor was extremely quiet. Where exactly was there anyone speaking on the phone? Holding her phone, Li Jiaer hid herself in the stairwell. She rubbed her eyes until they turned red, and dripped two drops of eye-drops into her eyes, partially wetting her eyelashes. She then waited for the right time before returning to the hospital room.

Fang Kun had been worried about her mother from the beginning. Seeing that she seemed to have cried, he opened his mouth to ask, but was cut off by Ji Mian’s cold voice, “Jiaer, I’m a bit tired, I want to sleep for a while. You should go home now.”

Li Jiaer who was just planning to put on a misery show, “…” This script isn’t right! She was still waiting for Ji Mian to ask her why she cried. She would then tell him that her mother was seriously ill and needed a large sum of money for her surgery. If he offered to lend her money, she would firmly refuse. Then, when she switched and signed with Aurora a few days later, she could use her financial straits as an excuse to gain his understanding. Ji Mian came from single parent family, and was really filial to his mother. This something the entire nation knew.

Li Jiaer had planned it out very well. Using this method, she could decline Tiantian Entertainment’s offer, and would not completely offend Ji Mian. This was getting the best of both worlds. And that mother whose “illness had worsened” was currently lying in the nursing home bed counting money. As long as you gave her enough money, she was willing to cooperate with everything her daughter did, just as she had that year when they framed He Yi.

But to her surprise, Ji Mian didn’t act according to her script and actually was directly shooing her out without asking a single word? What problem had occurred in between? Li Jiaer was so stunned she didn’t even how she left the hospital.

Fang Kun looked at Ji Mian speculatively. “Didn’t you see that Li Jiaer was almost about to cry? Something must have happened to her mum.”

“What has something happening to her mum got to do with you or with me? Am I her dad or are you her dad?” Ji Mian asked coldly.

“Those words don’t sound like you.” Fang Kun frowned.

“It is true that I love talent, but I also don’t help just anyone. I really have gotten old. My eyes are no good now.” Ji Mian sighed with heartfelt regret.

“This again?! Your eyes are really good! Not only is Li Jiaer good at singing, her acting skills are also excellent, she has the potential to become big.”