Prologue

Prologue

—Third Person

"As many of you know," Amar's voice booms across the pit, various colors scattered among the carved rock and stone hole in the Earth. "This is not my usual time slot for story time."

He was right— Tris always claimed the last slot on the final day of the visiting week: Friday.
She was the one who created the event, and she also was the one who always brought the most gruesome stories to share.

"It's been years since her story; the story she does not share too often. However, it has not been that long, and I must say I am fucking disgusted by how I hear rumors spread about her. It hasn't been so long that you all could have quite possibly forgotten who the hell she is."

He sighs, looking over to the patch of Ambassadors sitting on a ledge.
For once, they all are somber— as angry as Amar is.

"I knew her husband way before I ever knew her. That's another story for another time," he pauses, then continues. "But after years I was reunited with him, and he was different. He was not the same man whom I had known when I had left two years prior, and I knew he had met someone."

He smiles lightly, remembering the reunion after he was forced to fake his death and take shelter in the Bureau.
He smirks upon remembering the first time he met Tris on a mission to the Fringe, and how he had to reassure her he was no longer interested in her boyfriend to calm her jealousy.

"I met Tris individually: not knowing she was his significant other. And let me say," he laughs, breaking the sentence. "I would've never have guessed that a sarcastic, headstrong, stubborn woman like her could change him to the point that I didn't recognize his strong type A personality anymore."

Many Dauntless chuckle, knowing either Four or Tris individually. The Ambassadors find his attack on Tris remotely hilarious, all clearly agreeing with what was said.

"But all jokes aside," his tone turns serious again. "Her story has clearly been forgotten, and it is not one to be forgotten."

The Pit becomes silent again.
Amar knows there's people here that hate Tris with a burning passion.
He knows there's people here that fear her because of her New York ties.
He knows people here think she should be banished from the city.

He knows it's important for himself to do a justice for Tris, because right now, in the midst of surgery, she cannot speak on her own behalf.

"At age sixteen she transferred from Abnegation to Dauntless, and in one of the most brutal and aggressive years of Dauntless initiation, she ranked first by the end. After being challenged by one of the strongest in a spar, being told she was cut from initiation, and nearly being thrown over the Chasm because of an ambush, she survived."

He pauses, taking a breath.

"Yes, many people have issues with Dauntless initiation, and yes, Tris was not the only one to deal with the brutality of Dauntless initiation that year. She is not specifically unique in that scenario, but the fact that she survived being an Abnegation transfer, Divergent and being just over five feet tall really does say something."

He pauses again to take a breath, but this time to also shift topics.

"Still at sixteen years old, she was drafted into war. Forced and pressured by her Divergence, she turned herself in to Erudite at one point, just to try and slow the innocent murder of members of the city. Again, she survived, being rescued just hours before her own execution after the trials that nearly killed her on their own."