Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Tris

I sigh, sitting back into the wheelchair with the help of my nurse Julie and my physical therapist.
I was able to stand today without falling over.
It sounds like such a small thing, but I truly am so astounded and proud of myself.
Julie wheels me back to my room and has another nurse and herself help me back into my bed in the room.
My shaking limbs feel like jello as I wrap myself back in blankets.
I hate being constantly cold.

Just as I get comfortable, there's a confident knock on the door. Cara comes in, greeting me with a hug.
She's been visiting me as much as she can in her spare time. It's easier since I'm no longer in the ICU, and she works just two floors below me in the emergency room.

"I can't believe Bea is starting school already this year!" I remark, hugging my right knee to my chest as I chat with her.

Bea has been in a smaller Erudite school for two years now, but once children reach seven to eight years old the factions integrate all into one school with levels for their age group.

"I know! Ugh I feel old," she laughs and I smile. I roll my left ankle around, wiggling my toes to stretch.
Almost every day physical therapists have been coming in my room to help me with exercises with my leg to get it moving, and soon I should be standing again.

"Christina is suppose to have her baby any day now. She's over a week past due now," she comments and I am shocked.

"She hasn't had it yet?"

"I guess she's getting induced Tuesday unless she goes into labor before then."

I sigh, knowing the feeling of just wanting to hold your baby and no longer wanting to be pregnant.
I hope she goes into labor soon.
I wish I was able to be there with her too.

"She really hasn't been acting right, Tris. Like, I know it's not the pregnancy, and everyone keeps blaming her moods on the pregnancy."

I nod, remembering how even before she was pregnant she started treating me foully. It really goes back to after her wedding, and just after Thomas was born. Yes, she's always been able to get mad at me and be jealous, but this is different.

"She keeps saying the rudest things, then days to a week later she begs for forgiveness, then says something absurd again. It's like a constant cycle," Cara continues. "This isn't Christina. I'm really worried, Tris."

"Me too."

Cara and I know her inside and out. Will does too, but he is blinded by the fact that she is pregnant, and he thinks the pregnancy has caused her miscellaneous outrages.
It's been happening much longer than the duration of her pregnancy.

The Chris I know would get mad, but the current Chris had no question towards attacking me at visiting week, or saying rash things to her sister about the pregnancy Rose had no say in.

"I'm thinking she really could have bipolar depression or something. The fact that it's just getting worse, well, I don't know." I see the gears turning in Cara's head as she speaks. She's an Erudite trying to solve an unsolvable puzzle, and everyone is acting like the puzzle doesn't even exist.

"The way she snaps from extreme anger to being totally sorrowful and apologizing for everything, it's just never been her." I say and she nods in agreement.

"I keep asking her to see a doctor or a psychologist, just to have it documented, but of course, she refuses. I know it doesn't help that she's pregnant, and there probably isn't much she can do until after she gives birth and is postpartum for a few months, but starting now instead of later would be best. Will just is no help because he seriously thinks it's just the pregnancy. I don't know what's gotten into his head, but I don't know how he can't see this. I'm scared, Tris."