8. Oh Snap!

A blast of the cannon woke me up. I grabbed my bow and an arrow and looked around to see what was going on. Everyone else were also on their feet and had their weapons raised. But it was still dark and we couldn't see much.

Chad and Ashton came running from the other side and I was relieved to see that none of the careers were hurt. I wouldn't have minded if Isabella was though.

"No one came near here. They died somewhere else." Chad said.

"How long were we asleep for?", came Stephanie's groggy and sleepy voice.

I looked down at my digital watch that I found in one of the backpacks. 2:50. "4 hours. You guys guys get some rest, I'll keep watch until morning." I said

"I'll stay up with you, if you want?" Steph suggested.

"Alright." With that Chad, Ashton, Jared and Bella went back to sleep and the two of us went near the water and sat down, our legs dangling over the edge, touch the cold liquid.

"Tell me about your life at home." She asked me after a minute.

"Well back in district 4, I have my two best friends, Finnick and Newt, and Newt's sister is also one of my close friends, her name's Annie."

"Oh, Finnick is quite famous in district 2, even 1 guess, he keeps visiting frequently."

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I spoke my thoughts out loud. "Whatever for?"

"Dont know, he keeps staying at the mayor's mansion or some rich person's house. Sometimes for weeks together, sometimes for hours."

Well this is new. I let the topic about him slide from my mind, only to bring it up if I met him again. "Tell me about your family." I asked her.

"Well my parents are your normal district 2 people. Snobby and rich. And my younger sister inherited their traits. She is the 'golden child'. God I find her so annoying." She said and I chuckled.

"What's her name?" I ask.

"Clove."

Silence consumed us as we stared into the forest.
And then we saw it. A fire. A little deep into the forest, but it still glowed bright against the dark night. "Do you reckon we should wake them up?"

"I guess. I mean we need to kill them sooner or later. Better do it now." She shrugged.

I walked up to Jared's sleeping form and slightly shook his shoulder. He picked his knife up and before I could react, pointed it centimetres away from my throat. My eyes widened and I dared not to move. "Shit! I'm sorry, (y/n). I thought you were someone trying to sneak up on me." He gave a sheepish smile as he sat up.

I let out a breath that I was holding and mumbled, "Well good to know that your defence is deadly, I'll keep that in mind." He only chuckled in reply. "There was a small fire set up by someone in the woods. Do you want to check it out?" I asked him.

"Sure, let's pay them a visit." He got up and proceeded to get his spear. Steph woke Ashton up and asked him to keep guard while we went and dealt with the naive tribute, who must know better than to light a fire at night.

The three of us slowly swam across the river trying not to make any noise. We crept into the woods and made our way towards the fire when we spotted the tribute, sleeping on the tree right above. I aimed my arrow and let it fly and it hit her thigh. Her eyes widened and she screamed with pain as she fell down. Jared finished her off with his spear.

The blast of the cannon echoed through the silent arena.

Steph placed her hand on my shoulder and I tore my gaze away from the girl with the number 7 on her shirt.

12 people left. I thought to myself.

Suddenly I felt pain shoot up my right arm, just from below my elbow, as a knife scraped past me and hit the tree behind. I dropped my bow with the shock of it. I winced and bit my lip from the pain and turned around to look at my attacker. A bulky boy was running through the trees just a few feet in front of us, trying to escape. I grabbed a dagger, a rather big one, from my belt and threw it with my left hand in rage. It hit him square in his neck, right below his head and he fell down with a thud

Bang. And he too was dead.

Steph ran over to him and turned his body over and we saw his sleeve. District 10. 11 left.

I had killed 2 people so far, and the numb feeling came back to me, this time with less of an impact. "Can we leave now?" I asked, my voice hinting the slightest tinge of guilt as I placed my palm over my bleeding hand.

We made our way back to the Cornucopia as dawn broke out. As we swam our way across we could hear loud arguments, and it was getting louder by the second. We were running towards the rest of the pack when suddenly, Isabella was shouting at Ashton to stop, while he lunged at Chad and grabbed either sides of his face and twisted it with so much force, you could hear the crack all the way till where we were standing.

I immediately stopped in my tracks as the bile rose up to my throat when I saw his body fall on the grass and when the cannon blasted, I dropped by bow and quiver by the river and ran towards them. Ashton was shaking with fury as he stared at Chad's lifeless form.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!" I screamed at him.

He took a deep breath, calming himself down before replying with gritted teeth, "He got on my nerves." He turned around and simply walked away towards the back of the Cornucopia and Jared followed him.

"Isabella, what happened?" Steph asked the red head who was standing there without saying a word, tearing pooling up in her eyes. I felt something I thought I would never feel for her, pity.

"I dont know and I dont care. I'm happy he died, he has no personal hygiene what so ever."

And then the feeling was gone. She walked away and I looked at Steph. I shook my head and ripped a piece of cloth from a sheet and tied it around my elbow, wincing in the process as the cut was quite deep and it stung. It was a close miss or I would have faced a much worse situation. I grabbed a bottle of water from the crate that was by the spear section.

The noise from the engines of the hovercraft that came to collect the three dead bodies, drowned all the other noises nearby. I closed my ears as this was the closest I was to a hovercraft and gosh the sound was loud. I watched as Chad's body was taken away.

He was from home.

I took a cannon fruit and sat there under the shade and cut it with my knife. I plopped a piece in my mouth and devoured the sweet taste of the fruit.

My hand went to my pendant and I looked at the heart shaped jewel. And that is when I noticed a small latch on the side of the pendant. I opened the latch to find a photo of the three of us, Finnick, Newt and I, from when we were 9 years old. We were on our little island and playing with seashells. The memory of that amazing and fun day filled my head as I sighed. "Oh Newt..." I turned the photo around and saw Newt's neat writing.

To the most lovely and beautiful girl
I have ever met.
Happy birthday, love.
~Newt.

I closed my eyes and clutched the pendant close to my heart and remembered all the time we spent together. I put the photo back in and let the pendant fall from my hand. Since we were running low on food, I decided to go for a little hunting, I reached for my bow and quiver but couldn't find it by my side. I looked around me but found nothing.

And then I heard the most gut wrenching, blood curdling and agonizing scream ever.

I whip my head towards the source and my stomach dropped. I immediately ran towards the river after grabbing a spear and my heart was beating erratically.

"STEPHANIE!" I screamed.