28. The Cat's in the Bag

Katniss had woken up the next day. She was greeted with the news of the bombing of district 12 and the capture of Peeta, and understandably, denied the position of becoming the mockingjay. After that, the week had gone by rather eventlessly. Finnick and I were still stuck in the hospital, having no news about the prisoners held captive by the Capitol.

Every once in a while, Newt would visit us. We would pester him with questions, but he would always reply with, "I'm sorry guys, I'm not supposed to tell anyone about anything." Finnick grew more worried about Annie everyday, and I could hear him occasionally sob from his room next to mine, my heart breaking for him everytime.

On one sunny morning, I was sitting on my bed, reading a book that Delcy had gotten me from the library. Finnick's blond hair was sprawled across my lap as he stared up at the ceiling, lost in his thoughts.

Newt walked into my room, causing Finnick to sit up and look at him expectantly for any news. "Hello there." Newt greeted with a smile. "President Coin wants to speak with you, (Y/n)." He said while looking at me.

Finn's eyes narrowed at him as he scoffed. "And now you're her errand boy?"

"It's something important, Finnick." Newt said with a sigh.

"What does she want to talk with me about?" I asked.

"I dunno, she wants you in her office in 5 minutes." He said while checking his watch, something called a 'communicuff', a device Coin had given him a while ago, which allowed her to contact him whenever she pleased.

"WHY WON'T YOU JUST TELL US WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!" Finnick yelled all of a sudden, causing me to flinch.

"You know why, Finn. I'm not allowed to." Newt replied in a rather calm voice.

"Since when did that stop us from sharing secrets, huh? We're best friends for God's sake! We're supposed to keep eachother informed about everything that's important!" He snapped. I placed a hand on his shoulder, trying to calm him down, but he shrugged it off and stood up. "You know what? Forget it. Go back to being a slave for Coin for all I care." He stormed out of the room, leaving the door swinging behind him.

"He has got a point." I whispered. "You need to tell us, Newt. We care about Annie too. You can't just keep us in the dark about that."

"Coin has put Gale and I in a position that requires loyalty. We had to pledge not to tell anyone, or else we won't be able to give our views on the mockingjay situation." He said. "If we step out of line, she will take back our communicuffs and deny us access to any information regarding the attack against the Capitol. I thought you'd understand." He finished with his voice low. "Her office is 5 floors up, second door to the right. Be there as soon as you can. I need to talk to Finn." He said and walked out of the room.

I let out a dejected sigh, hoping that the two of them would come to an understanding and sort out their differences. I got out of bed and made my way to Coin's office. While I was turning around a corner, I bumped into Katniss, causing her to trip and nearly fall down. She looked up with annoyed eyes, but when she saw that it was me, her expression softened. "Sorry, I didn't see where I was going." I mumbled.

"It's alright." She said with a tight lipped smile. We stood awkwardly for a few moments, not having a clue what to say or do.

I shuffled on my feet while saying, "Um, I need to go right now, so I guess I'll see you later?"

"Uh yeah, sure." She said and the both of us parted ways.

I reached Coin's office and knocked on the door, panting a bit due to the five flights of stairs I had to climb. The door opened to reveal Plutarch Heavensbee and Coin, seated around a large conference table and Beetee was sitting on a wheelchair by the computers. He smiled at me in greeting, and I returned the gesture.