25. Maybe I Miss You

I grabbed my bow and quiver, another spear, and made sure the knives were secure in my belt before walking over to the group. We made our way back to the beach and sat down on the sand, underneath the shade of a low hanging tree.

"Besides Brutus and Enobaria, who's left?" Katniss asked.

"Maybe Chaff. Just those three." Peeta said.

"They know they're outnumbered. I doubt they'll attack again." Finnick said.

"We're safe here on the beach." I supplied.

"So what do we do? We hunt 'em down?" Johanna questioned.

A sudden scream was heard in the forest. It was followed by a panicked voice that exclaimed, "Katniss! Help me!"

Katniss's eyes widened with fear as she shouted, "PRIM!" She got up and ran into the forest, before Finnick could stop her.

"Katniss! Katniss! Wait!" He yelled and went after her. Peeta tried to run behind him but I grabbed his arm and held him back.

"No Peeta! It isn't safe!"

"I need to get to Katniss! She needs my help!" He struggled against my hold.

"Finnick's gonna take care of it! He will pr-" I was cut off by a familiar voice. A rich british accented voice.

"(Y/n)! Help! (Y/n)!" Newt's voice screamed. I shut my eyes close, knowing that there was no way Newt would be here in the arena.

The voice continued to scream for help and from a distance, I could hear Annie's voice calling out for Finnick. My legs felt weak as I clutched onto Peeta's arm. "They are just mutts, (Y/n)." He said.

"He's right. It's not Newt. They're jabberjays." Johanna assured.

"How did they get his voice then?" I looked up at her, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. "Jabberjays copy, don't they?"

"I dont know how they got his voice but trust me, it's the Capitol playing tricks, alright? You need to be strong, (Y/n). They can't hurt Newt. You know that." She said firmly. I nodded my head and wiped away the tears.

The voices of the birds were suddenly cut off, leaving the beach with a lingering silence. Behind us we heard the rustling of leaves and we turned to see Katniss and Finnick in a distance, running towards us.

"Katniss!" Peeta exclaimed and ran towards her. He suddenly bumped into an invisible wall and with a grunt, he stumbled back. I raised my hand and tried to push forward, but the wall restricted me. As Katniss and Finnick came closer, I tried to tell them to stop. Peeta was banging his hands on the barrier while Katniss collided with it on the other side. Tears ran down her face as soundless screams ripped from her throat.

I turned towards Finnick, who had teary eyes, full of pain and worry. "Finnick, it's gonna be okay!" I said. "They're just mutts, Annie's fine. You're gonna be alright." No matter what I said, he still looked distraught. His lips were moving but I couldn't hear a thing. He rested his palm on the barrier before sliding down against it. "Hey, hey, hey! Finn! Stay with me!" I frantically spoke, panic evident in my words. I lowered myself down to the ground, my eyes widening with desperation to ease my best mate's suffering. He shut his eyes and covered his ears with his hands, agony lacing his face.

Knowing the terrors wouldn't stop until the hour was up, I stayed by Finn's side, ignoring the faint cries of the jabberjays on the other side. After what felt like an eternity, the wall suddenly disappeared, causing Finnick to slump against me. Immediately, I wrapped my arms around him and rubbed his back in a soothing manner. "It's over, Finn. The jabberjays are gone. You're alright." I whispered in his ears.