9. My Ally and Blueberries

I threw the spear with all my force at the girl who had my bow and set of arrows. It impaled her right through her chest and instantly she was dead. The blast of the cannon rang through the air. From the corner of my eye I could see her ally, a boy jumping into the water

Oh not so fast you piece of shit.

I grabbed my bow and an arrow from the girl's dead body and took aim. I let the arrow fly as it hit him below his head and another cannon blast was heard. His blood turned the water around him a vibrant shade of red. This time I didn't feel numb or guilty.

I felt angry. I felt rage.

I rush over to Stephanie and kneel beside her whimpering body. The arrow had hit her in her stomach, and she was bleeding badly.

I lift her head and placed in on my lap and I removed the arrow out of her stomach. I placed my hand on her wound in attempt to stop the blood flow. She let out a small scream before taking deep breaths and calmed her whimpering down. "I-I'm r-root-ing for you o-kay?" She wheezed. I nodded my head frantically as tears were rolling down my cheek. She grabbed by bloodied hand with hers and squeezed it with all her remaining strength. "Show t-t-he cap-pito-l-l h-ow much you're w-ort-h alr-ight?" My eyes were blurred up with the tears as I nodded again. "S-ho-w Snow... show hi-m who you tr-uely are." Her dark brown eyes stared into mine and I held her hand. Slowly a sort of dazed look flashed across them and that moment I knew I lost my ally in the games.

I lost my friend.

I let out a sob as the cannon let out another blast. I held her hand and didn't let go until Jared came up from behind me and lifted me up. He walked towards the river and gently placed me down. I saw as the hovercraft came and collected the bodies of the other two tributes. The girl from 12 and boy from 11. And then it took Steph's body. Her black hair hung like a curtain as they lifted her up.

When the hovercraft vanished from sight, I looked down at my hands, which were caked in dry blood. Ashton and Isabella also came and stood by us with no emotions in their faces.

Stay strong. Just a little while longer. And then you'll be home.

I jumped into the water and the cool fluid calmed me down. I slowly cleaned my hands and body until the most of the blood was off. I got out of the water and my shirt clung onto my body. I sat by the dying fire and warmed myself. Ashton gave me a bottle of water and I gulped it down within seconds.

For the rest of the day we sat around eating the rest of the fruits and meat. They tried to start up small conversations but I hardly responded. Even Isabella knew that I would rip her throat out if she spoke too much. When night fell, I was more than happy to go to sleep. Mentally exhausted from the today's events.
_________________________________________________

It was around midnight when the Capitol's anthem was played. The first image of the fallen tributes was Steph's. Then Chad's. Then the boy from district 5, girl from 7, the boy from 10, the boy from 11 and finally the girl from 12.

6 left. A girl from distric 3, a boy from 6 and a girl from 9. And then what's left of the career pack. 6 people to kill.

I couldn't sleep because of various reasons, the major one being my wound. The bleeding still didn't stop completely, but has reduced considerably. It hurt like hell though.

Jared who volunteered to keep watch for the night was sitting by the cornucopia. When he noticed I was awake, he motioned for me to come over. I plopped down beside him and he said, "We need to hunt tomorrow, we are out of food." I nodded in reply.

After a moment of silence I said, "The gamemakers are soon going to round everyone up, we need to plan."

"Kill the 3 tributes left and then between us careers, we have to fight to see who will stand last. The strongest wins. Simple"

"Yeah, I guess so." I leaned my head on the back of the cornucopia, and I went into an uncomfortable sleep.
_________________________________________________

At dawn, we decided to go hunt for food. Ashton and I went into the forests while Jared and Isabella stayed back. As we made way deeper into the forest, I saw a small animal rush past me.

"Stay here I'll be back." I said and took off into the direction of the animal. After running through the woods for a good ten minutes, I stopped near a huge tree. I struggled to catch my breath and as I looked down at my arm, blood was trickling down from my wound. I squeezed my eye shut and sat down by the tree. I knew I wasn't lost, because if I headed north from that point, I would reach the cornucopia. I looked up at the canopy that filtered the rays of light.

Then something caught my eye. I first thought it was a bird, but then lowered my bow down as I realized it was a parcel. A gift from the sponsors. My eyes lit up as I caught the slowly descending box tied to a parachute. I opened it and found a small container with some sort of paste and a note.

This should heal it.
I'll help if you need anything else.
~N

I smiled and put the note inside my pocket, behind my belt and folded the parachute and stuffed it in my backpack. I took some of the salve and applied it to my wound. It stung at the beginning, but then slowly numbed out. After I emptied the container, I cleaned it with my shirt and put that also into my bag. I looked around the arena and my eyes landed on some purple berries. We had no food, so I might as well take these back to the cornucopia. But as I walked closer to the berries, I knew it wasn't a normal type.

Nightlocks. Steph and I came across this in training. These berries were deadly. Bite into a single one and you are gone. It looked very similar to blueberries. Blueberries. That's it! I looked around me and just like I suspected, I saw a camera. It would probably be broadcasting everything across entire panem. And now, I'm going to take advantage of it.

I look directly into the lens and mouth 'blueberries'. Newt would understand what I meant.

With that I ran back to where I left Ashton off. He was poking around bushes, trying to find anything, but so far he was empty handed. "Any luck?" He asked. I shook my head in fake disappointment with a frown.

The both of us headed back to the cornucopia. As we told the both of them we couldn't find anything to eat, Isabella threw a tantrum. But i didn't care. I completely ignored her and instead focused on the plan that was running through my head. A plan to win.
_________________________________________________

It was a few hours before midnight when the blast was heard. We didn't know how the tribute died but as the hovercraft came and collected the body, I knew for sure she was poisoned. The girl from 9 laid limp as a purple liquid dripped from her lips. None of the careers noticed it, but I did. She must have eaten the nightlocks. That was the only death that day.

None of us had eaten anything the whole day, and the effects clearly showed. Isabella was whining and Ashton resisted the urge to break her neck.

The next morning, I knew I had to go back to the tree. "I'm going to hunt, I'm way too hungry to sit around. Isabella, care to join?" I asked.

"Fine." She said and got up before grabbing a knife. I took my bow and quiver and swung it around my shoulders.

"You ladies will be fine?" Jared asked. I nodded and the both of us made our way through the forest. I pretended to spot something and just like I did with Ashton, I told her to wait there and ran off to the big tree. I waited for a minute before another parcel came down and landed in front of me. Inside was another note and a box.

Blueberries. Good luck.
~N

_________________________________________________