Prologue

AIKO'S POV

"*Cough! cough!*"

Akira coughed for the third time this morning after cleaning up the dishes. I walked over to her and I placed my hand on her shoulder.

"Onee-chan, are you OK?"

"...I'm fine."

Akira wheezed a little before taking her TB medicine. I was so worried about her and I didn't wanna go to school and leave her alone when she goes to the doctor's today.

"Onee-chan, maybe I should skip school today and come with you to the doctors."

"Oh please...this is nothing *cough! cough!* ...I don't need someone to hold my hand, I'm a big girl, I can take care of myself, meanwhile..."

Akira grabbed my school bag and she shoves it to me and she spun me around and pushes me out of the door.

"Get your butt to school!"

"All right, Onee-chan, if you need anything, call me."

"Yeah, yeah, now go!!"

Akira shooed me out of the apartment and I giggled a little. 

Hi there, my name is Aiko Fujimaki, I recently turned 18. This is gonna be my last year in high school and then I'm going to college to study medicine. As you already noticed, I only live with my older sister, that's because our mother left me and my sister in dad's care when I was 8 and Akira was 12. Our father was the best for a while until he passed away a year ago because of a lung disease called Tuberculosis. Since then it was only me and my sister but, about a month ago, I found out Akira had caught dad's disease, I don't know how long she had it for but, hopefully, the doctors can give her the best treatment possible today.

That's why I decided to study medicine when I graduate from school. After losing my father to the lung disease and Akira suffering from it, I want to do whatever it takes to make sure she and the other people won't suffer anymore.

I got to the school gates and I called out to my two best friends, Lucy and Rei.

"Rei! Lucy!"

"Hey, Aiko!"

Lucy said with a smile and I said them.

"Are you guys ready for the finals?"

"All of them except for maths."

Rei said with a sweat drop and I said to her.

"Didn't you go over the notes I gave you last weekend?"

"I did, but, I'm worried that I'll fail."

"You won't, just be confident in yourself."

I said with a bright smile and then Lucy said to me.

"Easy for you to say, you're a straight A student and you're going to college after the finals are over."

"Maybe, it'll all depend on how well I do at the entrance exams."

"Well, good luck, by the way, how's Akira been?"

I stopped in my tracks and I said to them.

"I'm worried about her, she's going to the doctors today to see her TB results."

"Is it that bad?"

"I don't know, she hardly tells me anything about her illness, all I know is that she's coughing out more blood than usual, she's getting feverish sometimes and she's been having chest pains as well, I wish I was there to support her."