Chapter One: Into the Storm

Cap'n!" A battered soul yelled. It was Skipper, my first mate. The battle-hardened man griped at his cocked hat, like a python suffocating its prey, making sure the fierce winds wouldn't take it off his head. "The barrelman"-he gasped, "-stationed in the crow's nest has spotted a maelstrom forming up ahead, as well as a hurricane!" The ship jerked, sending the big man to the deck. The timber planks of the 'Rocky Dolly' buckled and bulged, then screeched and shuddered. Not a second too late, however, 'Rocky Dolly' righted herself...to everyone's relief. The Gods must be angry with me; the calm seas turned harsh and unpredictable the instant we stole the sapphire. I quickly drew my spyglass from the belt attached to my waist, looking through the telescope I did indeed spot the vortex forming ahead. I lower the spyglass, strapping it back to my belt for later use. "You!" I shout, signaling to the cabin boy who had been busy bucketing water from the deck back to the sea.

"Check the bilge for any signs of leakage!" I roared, my voice nearly lost beneath the thunder that rolled overhead. Just my luck, he didn't know what that was.  "G,yaaaarrrrrrr.' The lowest part inside the ship!" I yelled, even louder this time. This time the petite figure rushed off, disappearing under the deck, bucket still in hand as the angry waves crashed into the sides of the ship.  Skipper, still clutching at his prized hat, staggered over to my right, issuing commands to the crew as I turned my focus on the helm. "Stow the sails!" Skipper shouted from his place at the quarter-deck, his voice nearly lost under the storm.

"Damn it!" My mouth went dry, my teeth bared as the enormous waves crashed on the stern of the ship. "Cap n', if you don't re-angle this ship we'll risk broaching!" Skippers' voice was weary, fear latching onto him like a disease. "Don't you think I know that?" I lashed out, my grip loosening on the helm as the rain soaked me to the bone.  My efforts were useless, with one great wave crashing into our ship's stern, I was thrown off the helm, the wheel now spinning out of control.  The rain pattered against the deck as I struggled to lift myself, lightning flashed in the sky, illuminating the raging sea and Skipper's efforts to regain control of the helm. I scrambled over to him, pushing the large man aside as I threw myself on the spinning wheel, it jerked fiercely, lodging itself in my stomach, my body acting as a barrier, stopping the wheel in its tracks. "Skippa'!" I gasped, the pain is almost unbearable. He recovered from my push, rushing towards the helm to aid my efforts. I was amazed at the sheer power of the man. His neck looked like a tree's roots, the veins seemingly close to an explosion while his biceps tripled in size as he grasped the helm for dear life. Even more impressive than that was his sheer perseverance not to lose his hat, he was gripping the ragged head-wear by his teeth.

I couldn't help but laugh, "Skippa' it's just a bloody hat!" He shuddered, "Not just any hat Cap'n, it's me hat!" He yelled, making his muffled voice known over the enraged streaks of lightning that painted the night sky.  Another wave crashed into the stern of the 'Rocky Dolly,' we risked crushing the infrastructure. I was sent off balance, slamming into the wooden hand railing. "Skippa'!"

 "Cap'n?" Skippa' glanced at me, his ruby eyes sparkling like gemstones as thunder thrashed the dreary sky above.  "Turn the prow of the ship into the storm as much as possible! Sail it at an angle, close as possible to the oncoming waves!"

"Aye aye Cap'n!" He shouted back, his voice a deep rumble.  I turned away from him, now surveying the main deck below. "Three of ye men go man the pumps below!" I ordered, straining my vision to see the distinct figures as they lowered themselves below using the hatch. The commotion of men on the main deck was getting louder and louder as their fear grew; I could sense a mutiny. I shot down the steps to the main deck, prying open the door that led to my quarters. Once I entered, the harsh winds slammed the door shut behind me, leaving me alone in the dimly lit room. The bronze candle holder to my right still gleamed a faint glow, 'It'll do...' I thought. Walking towards my desk, I shoved the maps off to the floor, instead placing a large wooden chest atop of it. It had begun to leak a strange substance. A beautiful aquarium-blue fog had begun to leak through the cracks; I shuddered, my jaw clenched. "The sapphire. Calypso's pride and joy..."I set the bronze candle holder down beside the chest.