Chapter 4: Mercy

By midnight the darkness was almost absolute, the only light source being the luminous campfire that occasionally went off with a loud crackle into the star-scattered heavens. The woman dressed in beautiful clothing began treating the crew. One by one, each member of my crew who had survived went to speak to her, injured or not they all wanted to be in her company. For medical reasons and for the more likely cause of wanting to try their luck in bedding her that night. I was sure Skipper and Jamie had even attempted to seduce her, though I was sure both had failed miserably in their unique way.

I sighed, turning my gaze from the commotion she attracted back to the firelight, flames licked at the wood and red sparks both danced in the warm breeze that touched my cheeks and neck. Though the grunts and moaning of the injured crew dominated the silent night around our little camp, I was able to hear the woman's voice cut through the air like a slice from a cutlass. "May one of you men please fetch me a Dormilona plant?" She asked, her voice controlled and firm. Quickly a man jumped at the opportunity, "I would Miss, but--uhh," He laughed nervously, "--what is a Dormilona plant?" She smiled, though it was clear she was still concentrated on the man she was treating, "Well, it has very distinct flowers, but it is most recognizable by the way it acts...the leaves of a Dormilona will fold inward and droop when touched..." She laughed, "Search the ground for it, I'm sure you'll come across it at some point Sir."

He flashed a grin, quickly lighting a torch using the campfire before he ventured off into the forest behind the camp, the dim light of his torch disappearing under cover of darkness as he went farther and farther. "Do ye expect him to find this plant you speak of Miss?" I asked her, my eyes, however, stayed put on the firelight. "In truth, I do not." she replied, "--However, I can only hope with the guidance of God alongside him that he may find it." I heard a man snicker, "Then you will be greatly disappointed." I quickly hushed the man, it wasn't in his place to question her faith, especially when she so graciously offered her aid with our problems. "The--" She began, but the strangled scream of the man she was treating quickly drew in her attention.

Now I was curious, turning to look, only then did I see the extent of his injury. The mud and grit had become enmeshed with his raw pink flesh; his torn loose blouse shirt spotted with blood as he lay on the cold dirt. The medicine woman hunched over him, gently pouring cold fresh water onto the injury and then fervently swabbing at his wound with a cloth or some other material that was available to her in these dire circumstances.

"Will he live?" I asked, concern plain on my white face, she took a moment before answering, "I don't know, even if he does make it through tonight, there is still the chance of him catching infection yet again due to this--" She motioned toward the entire camp, "-Place." I sighed, "Tomorrow then we will take him into town, perhaps find him a proper doctor." This aroused a sudden displeased look from the woman, her eyes giving me a sideways glare as she tended to the crew member "--I apologize, I did not mean to cause offense." "Yet, you have." She shot back.

I paused, my eyes meeting hers in the dim light that came from the campfire, no one spoke, but a battle raged on between us as we stared at each other. "Cap'n..." Skipper spoke up, taking a surprisingly agile step between us. "The fire be dyin' out soon, I think we ought to go fetch some wood to keep it burnin' throughout the night." I sighed, "I suppose you are correct..." I got up from the ground, quickly brushing off any leaves or dirt that still stuck to my breaches as I followed Skipper out of camp, shooting the woman one last glance before I left. The faint moonlight was a vast ocean above us, lessening the inky blackness of the night, but not so bright as to completely brighten our way as we clumsily searched for dry wood. "Well--" Skipper spoke up, disturbing the peaceful silence of the night. "Well..." I replied, arousing a sly smile from Skipper. "That was quite the show Cap'n..." I grunted, picking up a decently sized log, only to realize it was too moist to be viable for the fire. "I suppose" I answered, putting the log back down. Skipper laughed, "I supp-os-e" He imitated, struggling a little with my foreign accent. A broad smile painted across his face. I laughed, playfully shoving him with my right hand. "Do ye got enough wood I asked?" It seemed Skipper did; he was carrying at least four well-sized logs, "Never mind," I added hastily, "Let's just get back to camp." Skipper nodded, setting off on a brisk walk beside me.

Soon the dim light of the campfire was visible, providing a faint outline of the woman still hunched over the injured man. I helped Skipper place the logs down, though I doubted he needed my aid with the task--I just wanted to distract myself from the woman. "That'll last the night..." I turned to Skipper, "Why don't ye get some rest. Tomorrow will be a tiring day; I'll watch over the fire for the rest of the night..." I motioned to the group of the sleeping crew; they were resting on their makeshift beds made out of the large leaves that were scattered around the camp.

Skipper sighed, but to my satisfaction complied with my order. Quickly scavenging a few large leaves from the ground that proved to his liking before he finally laid down on the batch of leaves, no more than a few minutes later his loud snoring echoed through the camp. I took a seat near the campfire, my back turned to the mysterious woman. A few moments later, I heard a sigh of relief, "He'll get thro-ugh the night." She seemed to stammer. "I'm glad...thank you." Silence. I turned around confused, had the woman already left? My eyes widened, she had collapsed, now lying face down in the ground. I rushed over to her, kneeling beside her. "Miss! Miss!" I yelled, she didn't wake up. I quickly lifted her from the ground, leaning her upright against me. "Skippa'!" "Hu-wh-" The big man stammered, "Fetch me a bucket of water. Now!" I ordered, watching as Skipper sleepily stumbled up from his bed down towards the near stream. After a few minutes, Skipper returned, carrying a bucket filled with hopefully cold water, "Now pour it on her," I told him plainly, he gave me a confused look, "Bloody hell just pour the damn water on her Skippa'!" I caught a faint smile appear on his face as he drenched the woman head to toe with the freezing water, she immediately reacted, jerking her head back into my nose. I was sure she had broken it, all I could focus on was the burning pain that quickly spread throughout my face as I fell to the ground, accidentally pulling the woman down on top of me as she flailed like a fish out of water. "Calm down!" I managed to yell through the layer of ash-blonde hair that now covered my face, "Peh!" I coughed, angling my head to the side so I wouldn't swallow down any loose strands of hair. Slowly she stopped moving, though I could feel her chest rising and falling fervently as she lay on top of me. "Calm down...Deep breaths Miss" I whispered to her, "What--" She rolled off of me, allowing me to breathe properly finally, Who would have thought someone so petite could be so damn heavy! I thought, as I slowly got up. Skipper had gone to help the lady, allowing her to lean on him for support, "What the hell were you doing!" She screamed at me; my mind went blank as I searched for the words.

"I--You had collapsed--I was only trying to help you." She glared at me, her harsh look still plastered to her white face as she clung to Skipper, his grin only growing, soon it stretched from one side to the other showing every single tooth. My God Skipper help me! As if hearing my thoughts, he gave me a reluctant look but finally, he spoke. "He speaks the truth, Miss. He dared not fondle you. I swear it on my life; he only meant the best..." My jaw dropped, 'Fondle! Bloody hell there isn't anything there to fondle'. The woman looked from Skipper than to me then back to Skipper and back to me. "Thank you..." She stated, her voice faint. I tipped my hat to her, "You should get some rest...How about I escort you back to town, I don't believe it would be a bright idea to sleep near the crew in that clothing..."

She sighed, "I can't help but agree with you Sir...I'll be going now then." She collected her things, neatly packing them into her bag that now hung by her neck. "Will I be seein' you again soon Miss?" Skipper asked as she walked off towards the distant firelight of the town. "Oh Skippa', call me Mercy. And yes, I believe you'll be seeing me very soon indeed." I saw Skipper's crooked smile form, 'Dirty bastard' I thought, quickly swallowing any laugh that could have escaped. I walked briskly towards the man, resting my arm on his shoulder, "Well well, seems you have your priorities right aye Skippa'." He nodded, "I'd be a fool not to try my luck with such a lady as her, I swear it Cap'n, I've never seen a woman so beautiful." I smiled, "Then consider yourself lucky Skippa', for I've seen only one more beautiful than her, and I'll tell you...It is all but a curse to me." I heard Skipper scoff, "How Cap'n?" "Well, I can never get my mind off her so to say, her crimson lips, icy gaze...Whats to do aye Skippa'. I'll only be satisfied when I'm with her, and I don't believe that will be happening. So...it's a curse to me, a horrible curse..."

(To be continued...)